Thursday, June 11, 2009

WELCOME BACK & GOODBYES @ CAFFE PUCCINI =D / =(

These past few weeks has taken me through two extremes as far as friendships go.

On the last week of May, I met up with Lola (henceforth to be coded in this blog as Mrs. Smith) whom I haven't seen in AGES!!! Susko.... Now based in the U.S. with her American husband, she comes home every so often to tie up loose ends with the design studio / ad agency she left behind here. The last time I saw her was when she and Mr. Smith came home soon after their wedding, and Hubby Sweet and I met up with them @ Claw Daddy for some seriously good, artery-blocking crab dinner. Haha. Since then, she must have come home several times--all those times accompanied by BFF Cheffy texting me every so often that he and Lola had breakfast / merienda / lunch / coffee / dinner / etc. / etc. Heck, they live practically next door to each other, and so....=)

Now, unlike during the Wander Years when our scheds more or less jibed (we worked together practically every other day back then, and those times we weren't working, we met up anyway for breakfast / merienda / lunch / coffee / dinner / etc. / etc.), the past few times that Lola came home, I was either out-of-town for work, out-of-town for family stuff or simply stuck in the office for whatever urgent business presentation. Naku! AAAAAAARRRRGH!!! So to say that I was extremely happy to meet up with her again for dinner would be an extreme understatement. I was ecstatic! =D BFF Cheffy was unable to join us (this time, he was in Bataan with his family), but it was good to finally catch up with each other on work, love and life in general. I MISSED HER--A LOT!!! And I do hope the next time she comes home, the universe will align itself to make possible a troika reunion. =D

Now, just as I was welcoming home a friend (albeit temporarily, as she has already flown back to Mr. Smith), I had a despedida lunch for Mao, my bestest friend in the world who saw me all through my foibles from High School onwards. Mao who was ecstatic beyond belief when I met and married Hubby Sweet because he said, for once in his life, he does not have to worry about me anymore--that someone else has to be burdened with that job. Haha! =D

In a few days, Mao will be flying off to Vancouver for good to join his wife, Lil Angel, who has been there since last year for work. Lunch was quick. I had to get back to the office; he had to attend an immigration seminar and pick up a few more last-minute stuff before he goes. Still, it was crammed with catch-up stories on who's doing what and where everyone else is now.

He talked about them (well, mostly Lil Angel) serendipitously finding their dream home, and how excited they are to start fixing the place up. I talked about being excited to move to House Royal late this year with Hubby Sweet, and about us fixing the place up. He asked about the Baby Project. I told him it was more difficult than I thought it would be. I asked him if they plan to have babies soon after he gets there. He said, probably not immediately, but eventually.

He talked about the Winter Olympics being in Vancouver next year. I talked about how my cousin Ate Bab and Kiko's uncle Ninong Mar both live in Vancouver. Maybe you can come over and visit, he said. I told him, we'll see. It depends on how much we have left over after the amortization payments. He agreed. Yup. Amortizations would definitely be a big, humongous cloud hanging over both our heads. But it's going to be worth it, I continued. Little / major sacrifices now. Heck, you won't even remember it next year once you're comfortably settled in a bigger place. He agreed. Which is why he can't wait.

What about your optha practice, I asked. They tell me it's more difficult to establish a practice in Canada than in the U.S., he said. So what are you going to do, I asked. Maybe I have to study again. I don't know. I'll know when I get there.

Are you happy to go or does a part of you wish you weren't going, I asked. A part is sad, I'm a creature of habit, he said. I nodded. I know. So this is a pretty big move for me, he said. I nodded again. I know. But, the biggest part of me, he declared, is just excited to go and start this new life.

Sitting there in that tiny cafe, I came to a grand realization. We've come a looooooooooong way from all those lunches and corridor tambay sessions in good, old CSA.

Whoever thought Mao and Chora would actually grow up? Hay....=)

************************************************************

Both welcome dinner and despedida lunch was done @ Caffe Puccini @ The Fort Strip--because it's a stone throw away from my office and because I've heard sooooooooooo much good about it but have not tried it myself. Hubby Sweet is not a big pizza and pasta fan so I reserve these types of restaurants for meals out with my friends.

Now, Caffe Puccini has seriously good pasta. Mrs. Smith and I tried this tomato-fish-type (I forgot the name); Mao and I went for the Aglio Olio. Both yum.

That said, if I were to recommend Caffe Puccini to you, it would be because of the pizza. Both times, we went for the Classic Pizza Puccini. With all due respect to Yellow Cab, Greenwich, Shakeys, Jimini, Pizza Pedrico, Lotsa-Pizza, 3M, etc., etc.....guys, I still like you, but I've finally met my one, true pizza LOVE.


Baked in a wood-fired over. Crisp, smoky-tasting crust. Smothered with tomato sauce and what I suspect to be a balsamic vinegar-based drizzle. Topped with Italian sausage, prosciutto (YES, PROSCIUTTO!!! =D) and arugula. Slightly smoky. Slightly salty. Slightly sweet. Slightly nutty. I think I died and went to pizza heaven. =)


Both times, I thought, maybe Father would enjoy having his Father's Day lunch here. Hmmmnnnn....Must ask when we go home to House Better this weekend. =D

6 comments:

lil said...

Goodbyes are always hard.. so I just say see you wheen I see you. Do come and visit us. This is such a beautiful city.

toyang&tweety said...

Yup, yup! He's so excited to go there na, Lil! Sana nga makarating kami sa Winter Olympics. Matagal pa naman. More than a year. =D

lil said...

winter olympics is in 8 months time! 15 Feb 2010!

mildred said...

Hmmmm... reading your description about pizza, I want to ask- Are you talking as Eileen, or as a pizza? ha ha ha Gosh, I miss you too, and those recipe tasting days :-(

goodfor2 said...

great pizzas here

toyang&tweety said...

Lil! Waaaaaaahhhh!!! Malapit na pala. =( We'll see. =)

Mrs. Smith! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! I was speaking as a person as I have not established any affinity whatsoever with the Mommy Pizza. Haha! =D