Tuesday, June 16, 2009

FRO-YO!!! / JUST TO GET THIS OVER WITH =D

I'm getting my blogging up to speed. The photos in my special blog folder is bursting at the seams. Haha. =D

So it's about time I write about FRO-YO since everyone else seems to have written about it. Frozen yoghurt. Technically, healthy--except that, well, we bungle up the healthy stuff with all sorts of high-calorie good stuff. Haha! =D Now, unlike most foodies who seem to have gained a Masters in Frozen Yoghurt, I make no distinction between the right tartness level of this brand, the too-creamy-texture of this other brand, etc. etc. I am not equipped to make the distinction. When I see frozen yoghurt, I see white goo that suspiciously looks like all the soft ice cream I consumed as a child while waiting for Mother to finish her grocery shopping @ the old South Supermarket in Magallanes, and...well....all of a sudden, my mind no longer cares how authentic it is.

I see frozen yoghurt, I think healthy. I think yum. Ngyar. =D

Which brings me to my point. This post is not about which Fro-yo brand reigns supreme over all other brands currently available in the metro. They're all the same to me. The only difference lies in what toppings I eat them with.

FRO-YO DO. =D This was from Lulubelle in Rockwell. Instead of the usual FIC pistachio ice cream scoop, Hubby Sweet and I decided to try out Lulubelle after his birthday meal @ Pepper Lunch. Good thing Lulubelle is owned by the same owners as FIC because we haven't been back to FIC since. What sets Lulubelle apart from the rest is that you can either get Plain, Strawberry or Green Tea yoghurt as base. You can even do a combo. As a tribute to all the soft ice cream I consumed as a child while waiting for Mother to finish her grocery shopping in the old South Supermarket in Magallanes (haha), I usually go for the plain & strawberry yoghurt mix. (I haven't tried the green tea version though, but I intend to do so next time.) This one I mixed with mango, mochi and sugar cornflakes. Winner. =D But only if the mango is in season and would therefore be naturally sweet.


FRO-YO DON'T! =( What the hell was I thinking?! While walking around the Mall of Asia, waiting for the gates @ The Eraserheads Reunion Concert to open, I coerced Hubby Sweet, Sister Pusjing and G-Genius to join me in looking for Red Mango (this frozen yoghurt place I saw in Thailand). I heard they opened a branch in Manila, and I mistakenly thought that they opened their first branch in MOA. (Sa Trinoma pala. =() Anyway! After going around in circles, the guard finally pointed us to this place. "Prozen yo-gart? Ah.....tingnan niyo dun, Mam. Baka dun yung hinahanap niyo," Manong said as he pointed to a small hole-in-the-wall kiosk. White Hat. Good enough, I thought, except that I was hell-bent on adding mochi to my fro-yo and they didn't have mochi. So I surveyed the line-up of toppings and thought, "Heck! Coffee jelly will do." Yes, I actually thought coffee jelly would do. Then I surveyed everything else for something that would go well with coffee jelly, and thought, "Oh, well...it looks like the only other thing that will be bagay would be the sweetened red beans." Yes, I actually thought sweetened red beans will be bagay with the coffee jelly that was supposed to go well with my fro-yo. Here is my fro-yo with coffee jelly and sweetened red beans. BLEEEEAAAAAACH! Totally against everything that frozen yoghurt stands for. Hahaha. Again .... what the hell was I thinking?! Ngyah. =D



FRO-YO PWEDE NA. =) Sister Pusjing and G-Genius decided to share their first ever fro-yo experience by going for the peach-cornflake-almond-slivers combo. OK lang. Good, but nothing that will instantly widen your eyes as you let out an emphatic "hmmmmmnnnn....". =) I have a tip. From previous experience, tasting the fro-yos of my friends, almond slivers only look good on top of frozen yoghurt, but they don't really contribute anything. They don't taste like anything. The ones available locally (possibly because they're not exactly fresh) don't even provide any crunch. So isa lang siyang sosyal but wala lang na topping. Haha. =D


FRO-YO DO! =D The big winner in the White Hat gig was Hubby Sweet. Choosing to add healthy stuff to his healthy yoghurt, he decided on a kiwi-strawberry combo. (Forgive the fuzzy photo. He was getting impatient with the whole idea of me taking pictures before he is allowed to eat, haha!) I suppose Hubby Sweet lucked out because it could have been a potentially very sour combination, but that night, his choice was particularly light and refreshing. It was so good, I actually wanted to tell him, "If you really love me, you'll give me you're kiwi-stawberry, and you'll eat my coffee-jelly-red-bean fro-yo instead!" HAHA! (He probably would have said, "Tweet, don't be dramatic. Bumili ka na lang ulit." Hahaha! =D)


THE PINAKA-FRO-YO DO! =D If I were to sum up all my learnings re: fro-yo up to that point, it would all amount to this. One can never go wrong with mochi. Adding fruit is a must--if only to stay true to the fro-yo health ek. Sugar cornflakes add a good cruch.

All that changed when I tasted this @ Yogurt Froz inside Landes & Hobbes in Boni High. MOCHI (yes, all my fro-yos must have mochis =D). BLUEBERRIES. STRAWBERRY. Never mind if the fruits are frozen. They only add a certain all-natural crunch to the mix. I've decided that this is going to be the combo against which all future combo experiments will be measured against. =D


So! What's your favorite? Tell me para I'll try it the next time I buy. =D

*******************************

Lulubelle is on the top floor of Rockwell where all the kiddie stores are--where the old bowling alley used to be.

White Hat is on the 2nd floor (I think) of MOA. It's almost right after the Entertainment / Activity Center hole (which means it's at the back of MOA). Important to note, unless you actually have enough energy to walk through the whole place.

Yogurt Froz is inside Landes & Hobbes in Bonifacio High Street. I'm not sure if they also have it in their other branches. I suspect that they do. =)

4 comments:

lenlen said...

Nakakatakam naman. Parang gusto ko nang kalimutan ang diet kong kunwari lang :)

toyang&tweety said...

Ay, go! Bagay ang fro-yo sa diet mong kunyari lang. Kase, yung fro-yo, kunyari lang din na healthy sya. HAHAHA!!! =D Healthy sana kung walang topping, kaso ang lungkot naman. Mas mabuti nang masaya! Haha! =D

lenlen said...

Ay sige, ano kayang magandang excuse to go to rockwell?? :)

Anonymous said...

wow, recently din nahilig ako sa froyo. i always go for the original with my usual toppings like mandarin orange, peaches, mango, strawberry or cherry. depends kung ano available. so far mga froyo stores na gusto ko are tutti frutti in glorietta and lulu belle in serendra. so i guess i still stick to the kunyare pa healthy ahaha i haven't tried mixing it with the other toppings. takot ma disappoint siguro and baka di masarap sayang mahal ahahaha...