Friday, June 19, 2009

NOT SO HOT DOGS =(

I have a confession to make. I have long wanted to try this one out. I pass by it in Rockwell with its shiny red seats filled with people having their fill of gourmet sausages and I always think it’s a must-try. Thing is, with Hubby Sweet on a health quest, I was never able to—until one night when I serendipitously found myself with time enough to have a quick dinner between a trade check (@ Rustan’s) and a late-night FGD/consumer visit in a call center somewhere in Mandaluyong.



Finally, my chance! =D

Sadly, I was disappointed. =(

See, the thing is, I had visions of….well…visions of me being able to replicate the experience of the wide variety of sausage sandwiches I once wolfed down on the streets of Vienna with BFF Cheffy, Ade and Gnie-Gurl during The Wander Years. Maybe it had something to do with the darn place being called WORLD. BANGERS. HAUTE (!). DOGS. I mean….darn.

I ordered the Swiss Cheese & Mushroom Melt Haute Dog. OK, so now I have SWISS CHEESE added to my darn expectation of how a WORLD. BANGER. HAUTE (!). DOG. ought to taste like.

I had visions of a gigantic, peppery, strongly-flavored sausage smothered with gourmet cheese, laid out on a special, lightly toasted, freshly-baked roll.

This is what I got. A ton of fries with a sausage sandwich on the side. Ngyar. =(



I wouldn’t have minded if the sausage sandwich was divine. After all, I once listed French Fries as the one dish I would gladly eat everyday for the rest of my life if I were forced to. The thing is, the sausage should have been the star of the show! How do I describe it?

Think pan-grilled Purefoods Beef Franks laid out on an unheated/untoasted (noooooo!) store-bought hotdog roll topped with sautéed mushrooms then smothered with heated Chiz Whiz. Which is a pretty good combination when you think about it—if I prepared and ate the darn thing at home! =(


More importantly, it would have been a good combination when you think about it—if I did not have to pay MORE for the darn thing than what I would have shelled out if I just used the ingredients at home....=(

I had a hard time eating it pa because the roll was too small to hold everything that was in the sandwich so the entire thing kept collapsing everytime I picked it up. After several tries, I gave up and ate it with a fork and knife. And you don't really eat a sausage sandwich with a knife and fork, do you?


Maybe I should have ordered some other sausage sandwich instead. Like the Ceasar Salad Haute Dog (?). Maybe I wouldn't have had such grand expectations. Oh, well. Hay...=(

*********************************************************
The other new sandwich place in Rockwell that I want to try is Elbert’s Cheesesteak, but after this sad, sorry experience @ World Bangers, I’m afraid to waste good money na naman. Has anyone tried eating @
Elbert's and is it worth it? Tell me before I go!

4 comments:

Vanessa said...

Agree. May disappointment factor rin ako on this. kaya mag-jo-jolly hotdog nalang ako!

Eugene said...

ha? talaga? ako naman super love ko sya when it first opened, it kinda reminded me of the czhec sausages in Prague, but that was like 3 years ago..... promise before ang sarap nya! even the buns were grilled and very soft na super sarap. and before it was like your "santi's" sausages but far from your local hotdog brands! ang tagal mo kasi nagtry e ayan commercialized na sila hahahahaha

Vanessa said...

how yabang naman the comment!!! sorry, di pa ako nakaka prague eh =P hehe

toyang&tweety said...

HAHAHA!!! Di ba, V?! Laos. =D