Monday, January 21, 2008

WICKED!!! =) / MAY,2004

I grew up loving musicals. Mother brought me to see my first musical movie, ANNIE. I remember pretending to be Annie weeks on end, wishing I can be Aileen Quinn as I sung "Tomorrow!" at the top of my lungs. Hahaha! 'D

Holy Weeks would inevitably be spent at home (in the absence of cable TV when we were younger =)) watching either reruns of Jesus of Nazareth OR THE SOUND OF MUSIC. To this day, I can sing all the songs from memory everytime I watch this particular Julie Andrews movie. =)

THE FIDDLER ON THE ROOF also rates high on my list and it is one of my favorite bonding moments with Father. We watch our Laser Disc (and eventually DVD copy) endlessly and laugh--as well as cry) every single time. =) Too bad we missed the recent run by Rep. =(

As I grew older, the love for musicals that my parents instilled in us lived on. I saw RENT as an adult and it will always be special to me. Not only is it the first live musical I saw (with girlfriends Gnet and PO), to this day I sing "Another Day" everytime I hit a rough spot: "There's only now. There's only this. Forget regret or life is yours to miss. No other path. No other way. No day but today..." Beautiful, sensible song to live by. =)

Not to be missed is LES MISERABLES! It is among my very few regrets that it ended its run on Broadway before I got to New York! Waaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!! I think I scratched my 10th anniversary DVD copy to oblivion. My other regret is that I forgot who borrowed my CD copy--and it never got returned! Waaaaahhhhh!!!

Still, the recent tizzy created by AVENUE Q at the office had us thinking what we would want to see produced in Manila next. It's a long shot, I know, but heck, I voted for WICKED!!!! It'll always be special to me because it's the first musical I ever saw on Broadway on my first night in my favorite city in the world. WICKED is the "hidden story" of the witches of Oz. A sort of prequel to the classic film "The Wizard of Oz". It's the story of how the Wicked Witch of the West became, well, wicked. ;) It's also a great story about friendship between Elpheba (who grew up to be the Wicked Witch of the West) and G(a)linda (who grew up to be Glinda the Good). Along with dear friends Chaz and Michi (yes, codes =)) as well as Michi's posse, I was absolutely mesmerized. I really wish they will stage it in Manila! (Or, I really wish I can go to New York with the Hubby to see it again! Haha. Soon sana. =))

In the meantime, I will content myself with browsing You Tube for snippets of this superbly written, magnificently sung, and wonderfully played musical!

I've been at it since last weekend. Good grief! Haha. =D I thought if I'm going to keep on browsing, I might as well post my favorites on my blogsite! Haha.

Hay, sya! Trailer attached...=D

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Inaabangan ko na rin ang Wicked. =)

Lost in the chaos caused by the G2 bombing last year was Repertory's staging of the Dorothy and the Witches of Oz (or something like that) in the Ayala Malls which combined songs from both the Wizard of Oz and Wicked.

Anonymous said...

ate!add mo yung blog ko ha. www.aaazedizon.blogspot.com thanks!

Anonymous said...

i share your love for musicals too (memorize ko RENT songs from start to finish!), although i discover my passion late in life - during my UP days. does kiko watch with you? si riki natutulog during the plays nung nasa pinas pa kami! hahaha! buti nung lion king he is with evan so no excuse for him to doze off. :)

TOYANG & TWEETY said...

I have only taken him to one (Avenue Q here in Manila), and while he may have enjoyed it, I DON'T think the musical bug has bitten him yet. Haha! Malamang, pag sinama ko sa ibang musical, tulog din parang si Riki. (We saw a mini-version of the Lion King in HK Disney and he slept through the entire thing! Haha! 'D)

TOYANG & TWEETY said...

Joelle, sayang! I also missed their Fiddler on the Roof run. Did you get to see it?

Anonymous said...

Nope. Conflict with Christmas parties and Into the Woods. =) I really want to watch Tuesdays with Morrie but can't find anyone who will watch with me. Boo.