Wednesday, September 17, 2008

THE STOCK MARKET / SEPTEMBER 18,2008 =D

Nope, this is not about the Lehman Brothers collapse that has resulted in major market downturns across the globe--which in turn has probably resulted in Bro I-gue hyperventilating to the wee hours of the morning. This is about the new restaurant on Bonifacio High Street, which was originally meant to be the lifestyle store of the pineapple and tomato company, but has since evolved into a Hamptons-inspired bunk.

THE STOCK MARKET. Now, only the pineapple remains. ;p (Thanks to Thelmy for the pic of the store exterior and interior. All other pics were taken from my cell camera. Haha. =)

This week is dry run week for employees (and their families and friends) with the primary intention of revving up the waiters and restaurant personnel in time for the public soft launch next week (rumor has it they will be giving a 20% discount whole of next week, but 'am not really sure).

Hubby Sweet and I tried out the menu for dinner last Monday with Buster J in tow so we had to sit outside. We were asked by The Boss and Jo-P to pretend to be demanding customers so the waiters can be trained to handle demanding patrons in the future. The Hubby and I, however, have made a promise never to be masungit to the waiters IN ANY RESTAURANT before the food is served, lest we end up eating more than we bargained for. Haha. =) So we ended up being demanding, but nice. Hehe. =D Quite coincidentally, BPI ended up calling me about reinstating my "invalid" internet password just as we were about to order. (Long, stupid story about how my password was rendered invalid when their website timed-out which resulted in me being blocked out just when I needed to double-check if the account had funds enough to support some post-dated checks I issued a few months ago. HMP! >:/) The blah-blah-blah-blah-blah-complete-with-raised-eyebrows-and-sharp-tongue discussion took a bit so that should probably count as test #1. (For the record, I was being masungit to BPI, not the waiter. Hehe.) While I was blabbering over the line, the Hubby noticed that Buster J was thirsty as hell so he asked the waiter if he can have a plastic cup that we can use as his makeshift dog dish. Waiter came out with a small, round plastic/disposable microwaveable dish filled to the brim with water. Complements of the house. Bravo! Haha! 'D

Jo-P soon arrived--probably to check on how things were going--and panicked when she saw us sitting outside. "You're not allowed to eat out! Go inside!" I countered, "Jo-P, I have my dog. Unless you're OK with me bringing him inside..." As it usually is with Jo-P, she had a 180 degree shift in temperament, looked at Buster J and went, "Well, hello there, little cutie!". Doing another 180-degree shift, she then turned to me before going inside, "OK. You can be practice na lang for all future customers who will eat outside because they have their pets with them." Hahaha! OK.... =D

Now, being on a serious-fish-only-during-weekdays-mode, Hubby Sweet ordered the healthiest dish on the menu: the Spice-Crusted Sea Bass. (The full recipe names are actually longer, but I can't remember them because they are kilometric. Haha! =D) According to the Hubby, the pricey fish was worth it. Buti na lang! =) Now, I am not a fan of Sea Bass. I think it's a little bland, but I'm plebian. I actually like Tilapia better. Haha! Still, I did try Hubby Sweet's dish just for the heck of it and found it to be light, but mildly tasty (because of the spice crust and the aioli lace). I also liked the bed of salad it was on; the dressing tasted peanut-y. The Hubby, overall, was satisfied. =)


Being a serious karne-vore (;p), I went for the Cobbler Pie "of cut-up steak, etc., etc.". (I only retained "cut-up steak". Haha!) It was highly recommended by officemates who decided to take their turn at the dry run earlier that day over lunch. It was good, but I suppose I really like my steak just grilled and juicy. The Cobbler Pie--as the name suggests--is actually a stew with the filo pastry creatively plated as triangle-shaped flaky bread instead of being used as topping to seal off a ramekin. Still, I wouldn't mind recommending it to others. It's serving size is actually big enough for two so if you share it with a friend, it will actually give you great value. =)


Hubby Sweet ate his meal with The Stockmarket Peach Soda. Very light and bubbly. Almost Shandy-ish. I like. =) Actually, I LOVE. =D I ate mine with a pick from the interesting Smoothie list. Pineapple-Lychee. I LIKE too. But I don't love. =D


















We ended the meal with the Key Lime Pie which was good, but those who know my dessert preferences well (think Lola and friend Cheffy) would know that I like any lime- or lemon-based dessert to be REALLY tart, otherwise, what's the point? That said, however, I think The Stock Market's Key Lime Pie would be perfect for most who like their desserts sweet with only the slightest hint of tartness. For the record, I did like how the the crusty, sugar-laced lime rind blends with softness of the cream and pie. =)


Yesterday, The Boss asked the entire Fruit Team to eat at the restaurant for another round of dish trials, and I have come to the conclusion that there are sooooo many other dishes at The Stock Market that are much better than the dishes Hubby Sweet and I tried.

My new favorites from yesterday's food tasting: the Fancy Cheese Pizza and the Lamb Steak with Banana-Berry Smoothie. (Wine is also available on the menu, but I don't drink so....) The Chicken-Pesto Grilled Sandwich was great too. =)

By next week, I've been told that they would already have available the "famous" Porterhouse Steak from The Lodge @ the pineapple plantation high-up in the fertile plateaus of Bukidnon. ;p Those who have been lucky enough to have tried the steaks there would know that they are bigger than plates and juicy-marbled enough to send you to steak heaven. I can't wait! So, yes, I suppose, there are reasons enough for us to go back. =D


********************************************************************************

Congratulations to Jo-P and The Boss for the birth of their baby (finally! =D) The Stock Market is on B1/B3 Bonifacio High Street. It's right next to Friday's.

I've been told that it opens to the public on soft-launch basis next week. It goes full blast on the 1st week of October.

Call 8566300 or 8566301 for details and reservations. =)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

A-HA! I was surprised na nga ba at you suddenly thinking of arranging the next fam thing-y, when I know you have loads of work to do! Work-related rin pala! hahahaha! I was also wondering kung paano nagka-stock market in boni... eto pala un. :-)

TOYANG & TWEETY said...

Hindi 'no! Haha! Actually, we were planning a baby shower for Lelay (my PM), tapos bigla ko naisip, teka muna, wala pang plans for Day's shower! =)

So there! Sumagot na ba si Tatin? =D

Unknown said...

Do former employees get discount too? Haha. :-p

TOYANG & TWEETY said...

Haha! Actually, UNTIL TODAY, 20% discount pa. =D

Tomorrow, regular rates na. =)

Discounts to former employees will only be given if they go back to DMPI. Hahahahaha!!! 'D

Pam said...

Basta I like the ambiance. Hahaha! Nakakatawa talaga si Jo!