Friday, June 6, 2008

MAYON / MAY 17,2008 =D

The highlight of the trip back was the side visit to the Cagsawa Ruins, the bell tower that was left standing when Mayon erupted centuries ago. (I say centuries ago because I’m too tamad to research exactly when. *Sheepish grin =D *)In any case, the one fascinating thing about Mayon is that you can apparently see it from any point in Legaspi. It was even supposed to serve as a majestic background to the Legaspi airport runway. I wanted to see its perfect cone first-hand. If we cannot see the “perfect cone”, what’s the point? Quite unfortunately for us, we have only seen Mayon covered with clouds since we arrived. We had therefore been reduced to pointing it out and saying, “Ayun! Ayun ang Mayon! Sana makita natin yung cone….” Waaaaaaaaaaahhhhh…=(

In any case, since we had time to spare on the way back, we decided to veer slightly off the road to go to Cagsawa. We figured we might as well see the bell tower even if we don’t end up getting a full view of the actual mountain. (Hey, well, what do you know. I forgot I took a picture of the “history slab” that seems to be found in most old churches. =) February 1,1814! That’s when it got buried after a major eruption. I was right. It was centuries ago. ;p)

The road to the ruins was paved with volcanic soil and lined with volcanic rocks. On either side of the van, one can see partially-destroyed houses. Most were hit by rocks that were spewed out during some of the more recent eruptions, and we were told that the owners probably did not have enough spare money to rebuild. Niece Patita looked out the window with the rest of us. I, personally, was in awe at how huge these boulders were, and how I would have probably fainted with terror at the sight of one of these falling from the sky. One could wonder why people would choose to live at the base of a volcano, but it’s really because of the soil. Farmlands are apparently most fertile near the mountain, and I suppose, most families have decided that the possibility of a once-in-a-lifetime-eruption is a “work hazard” they would be willing to live with.

I felt a certain sense of reverence as I surveyed the scene outside, still wondering how these people might have felt as volcanic rock and ash rained down on them. Soon, however, the silence was broken. We had reached the ruins, and as soon as the van doors were opened, a multitude of children literally swarmed around us, each peddling their own set of Mayon pictures, each automatically mouthing off the history of the mountain’s eruptions and the story behind the Cagsawa ruins. I suppose it would have been helpful (and quite charming really) to be approached by one child who knew everything there was to know about the mountain, but to be assaulted (yes, it felt like it) by about 10 children, all talking at the same time, all pushing their volcanic pics, is a bit too much. Imagine walking into a room with 10 TVs, each blaring loudly, but each programmed to a different channel, and you’d get a pretty good idea of how grating everything was. As soon as I stepped out of the van, I wanted to get back in and get out. =(

I suppose I cannot fault them. I suppose these kids are just trying to make a living, hoping that some tourist will give them a big tip to augment their parents’ income. I just wish they could talk among themselves and agree to have only one or two approach each van that arrives. That way, the tourists can truly appreciate the history of the place and what everything stands for—as opposed to feeling like they are being attacked by a swarm of bees. =( I’m even going to bet that if they do it this way, they’d be “earning” soooooooooooooooo much more. *Sigh…=(*

We had arrived at the Cagsawa Ruins to find Mayon still covered with clouds. We decided to mill around, despite the chatter of children, desperately trying to tune them out. As a kid, I would look at postcards of the Cagsawa Ruins with Mt. Mayon in the background, and every time I looked at them, I felt a sense of serenity. I had this vision in my head that when I finally get to stand at its base, it was going to be a sight to behold—one that would literally render me silent as I stood before it in awe. I was therefore not prepared for the actual experience. While the mountain was definitely a sight to behold, I had to let go of the serenity part. Hay….waaaaaaaaaahhhhh!!! =(
Still, seeing just how big the boulders were put everything into a much more in-depth perspective for me. (The boulders were even bigger than G-Genius and Patita and me!)

After about 15 minutes, we decided it was time to go back on the road to Donsol. Just as we were about to board, our van driver excitedly shouted out that the clouds were clearing.

“Nawawala ang ulap!” he cried out, “Makikita niyo na ang bulkan!”





















At his cry, all of us rushed out again and posed like crazy. The clearing of Mt. Mayon would happen only for no more than 3 minutes. Soon, it was covered again by thick clouds.

“Masuwerte po kayo,” our driver explained, “Sabi po nila, sa mga mababait na tao lang nagpapakita ang bulkan.”

Sister Pusjing and I beamed, “Ganun po ba?”

Our pride was pierced by Hubby Sweet’s side comment, “O, over kayo. Si G-Genius yung mabait na sinasabi niya. Di kayo ‘no! Two atribids nga kayo eh…” he teased, referring to his oft-repeated half-meant joke that the sister and I are two atribidas pretending to be saints. Hahahahaha!!! ‘D
Hay, sya! The important thing is we finally saw Mayon in its perfect-coned glory. =) And, let’s officially count that as Divine Intervention #3. =D

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cous, I'm waiting with bated breath for the culmination of this series. Was there or wasn't there a whale shark sighting?!?!? :)

angelaze said...

wala ba bagong post =)