Monday, June 23, 2008

THE MARRY MONTH OF JUNE =D

This being the last week of June, I thought I'd sneak in this bit. I once read that the "June Bride" is actually a myth in the Philippines. They say that while the June bit applies in the northern hemisphere (it being summer and all there), most weddings in Manila actually happen in the months of December and January, with a smattering of weddings leading up to Valentine's. Kase daw, at least kung may mga kamag-anak na uuwi from abroad, pwede na isama ang Christmas and New Year sa mga dahilan ng pag-uwi. Hahaha! 'D

Still, in the month of June in the year 2008, no truer words could have been phrased as far as I was concerned. Dalawang bandila ng Bataan ang bumagsak! Hahaha! 'D And, no, I was not referring to the brides. =)

Cut to May 29. I received an unusual text from Mao, my HS BF (best friend, silly, not boyfriend!), asking me for my office landline. As soon as I picked up the phone, I knew something was up. I thought he was calling to tell me that he was already leaving for Canada. Earlier on in the year, he told me that he will be following his fiancee to the land of maple leaves and that they will get married there, although at that time, the date was not set yet. I told him to give me advance notice as I would have to file a leave from the office (and these days, my leave forms have to be approved and signed by the president, no less, ACK!).

"Aalis ka na?" I asked as soon as I picked up the phone.

"Nope. Not yet. Change in plans," he reverted.

"Di ka na ikakasal?" I asked, confused.

"Gagu!" he replied, "Change in plans, meaning we're getting married before I fly to Canada!" He then launched into a long-winding explanation as to why they would have to tie the knot before they process his papers.

"Oh, I see," I said, getting increasingly giddy at the thought of my best friend FINALLY getting married!

"When are you getting married?" I asked.

"Sa Tuesday. June 3," he said, matter-of-factly, "Can you make it?"

HUUUUUUUWHHHHHAAAAAAAAAATTT????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Crazy! Hahaha! Still, if the date has been set, I have no choice but to rearrange my work calendar. Cancel meetings. Move meetings. Resched cuttings. Ack! Anything for my best friend and his girl. =)

And so it goes that on June 3, my best friend Mao married Lil--the only girl he ever introduced to me!--in civil ceremonies followed by a quick snack in Jollibee, and finally a magnificent lunch with closest family and friends in attendance at the Shang Palace in Makati. YEY!!!!!!! 'D The church wedding will follow, of course, and the Hubby and I intend to be there--wherever and whenever it may be. =D

The following week then saw P&P getting married--ironically on June 12, Independence Day. Hahaha! Unlike Mao's and Lil's, this wedding was 15 years in the making with a slight deviation in between. (Then again, let's not dwell on that minor cut in the timeline, shall we? Haha.) Mao said it all in his "best man" speech during Pierre's wedding. As we were all growing up in good, old CSA, he practically pledged his allegiance to only one girl. Unrequited, of course, but that's beside the point. Haha. The point is he was the type who sticks. The type who loves and sticks. Fast-forward to years later in good, old ADMU where--with the benefit of an expanded horizon, new experiences and new acquaintances--he finally left the old notions behind.

On our senior year in college, he met and fell in love with Pat. We used to kid around that he was just having a "Senior Moment" (you know, senior in college, must have a girlfriend before we graduate). Hahaha! Guess what? That "Senior Moment" has been going on for the last 15 years. Through hell and high water, right through the Filipino-Chinese (mis)connections. It was long overdue when they finally announced that they were getting married, but when it finally happened, it was a beautiful, beautiful wedding. Simple, but one that felt--beyond the shadow of any doubt--absolutely right. =)

So congratulations, Mao and Pierre, and best wishes to Lil and Pat!

As Hubby Sweet would always say in his "best man" speeches, "May your marriage be modern enough to survive the times, and old fashioned enough to last forever!"

Much love,
T&T

No comments: