Friday, April 18, 2008

STREET FOOD: PART 2! =D

My love affair with Bacolod fare started in childhood. My dad was based there for a while when we were kids, and although I never really got to visit him there, I've always wondered what he was doing. Because he was away most days, whenever he comes home (most weekends, actually), he would haul Sister Pusjing, Brother Ige and me off into the car and drive us somewhere "magical". It need not necessarily be anything grand nor expensive. Trips with the Father meant going off to Calamba to visit Jose Rizal's ancestral home (I remember thinking after seeing JR's bed, "This is it?! This larger-than-life national hero is this small?!") or taking a trip to nearby Nayong Pilipino to have our pics taken next to "Mayon", the "Vintas" and the "Rice Terraces" or going to the old Cash & Carry where--as kids--we practically lit up at the thought of being able to buy PX Pringles and Chips Ahoy. Hahaha! 'D

It just occurred to me that my unquenchable thirst for new things and experiences stems from the thrill of visiting new places with the Father. Hmmmmmnnnnn....=)

In any case, it was in one of these "mini-trips" that Father first introduced me to Bacolod fare. I remember we were in some trade pavillion and I was clutching my newly-bought, yellow Monkeys-In-A-Barrel. Prized possession! (Yes, we went to a trade fair where they sell regional stuff, and I chose to buy Monkeys-In-A-Barrel. Why they had such in a native regional trade fair is something I've never bothered to explain even to myself. Haha! 'D)

I remember sitting down in one of the makeshift canteens, surveying the menu when Father's eyes lit up. He looked up to the waiter and excitedly asked, "Meron kayong La Paz Bachoy, To?", grinning from ear to ear, pretty much like a kid on Christmas morn. (Remember, this was back in the day when Chicken Bacolod, Mang Inasal, etc. where unknown in Manila.) He then went on excitedly about how good La Paz Bachoy is, and as a kid, I remember thinking it's weird that he will choose to order bachoy in a "restaurant". Then again, I thought, well, I like bachoy anyway, so what the heck! Haha.

When the waiter set down each of our La Paz Bachoys, I remember looking up at Father quite confused, the entire time thinking, "This is not bachoy. This is mami with chicharon!" See, I was used to the Tagalog bachoy which Mother would often serve for lunch or dinner. The Tagalog bachoy had innards and sili leaves and it was eaten with rice. The bachoy that was set before me had yellow noodles, slivers of pork, an egg and chicharon sprinkled on top! 'Twas my first taste, and I've got to say, it was love at first bite! Yum! ^_^ My love affair with Chicken Inasal came much later, but it has been going on since. =)

With the mushrooming of inasal places all over the metro, eating such has become relatively easy. While I will be the first to admit that I like eating in Chicken Bacolod, Bacolod Chicken House, Mang Inasal, etc., etc., there is something about J.T. MANUKAN. I suppose it has much to do with the ambience. Haha. While the food in the other restaurants is good, you eat them in interior-designed, airconditioned spaces. At J.T., there is no airconditioning, and the tables are set next to a busy street. The chicken is BBQd across the street and brought to your table in rattan plates lined with banana leaves. It's actually very low-key, but apparently very popular. We'd always arrive at J.T. to find a good mix of ex-truck drivers mixed in with the young families and the Greenhills donyas. =) It doesn't matter if you're in your Sunday dress with coiffed hair or if your in your basketball jersey or if in your pambahay. Everyone is welcomed at J.T. All these combined, I suppose, makes for a Bacolod fare experience that is a tad bit more authentic. =)

J.T. refers to Joel Torre. Yes, Joel Torre, the actor. His movie posters are strewn all over the place. I actually find them (the posters, I mean) quite charming. There was this one poster that caught my eye. A staring contest with Joel Torre. Can you win? I think not. Haha!

Still, people go to J.T. not for the chance to hobnob with celebrities (although they have been known to frequent the place), but for the food.
Hubby Sweet and I, for example, agree that among all the La Paz Bachoys we have tried all over the metro, J.T.'s is the one we like most. Unlike the rest, it is not too salty. The saltiness of the broth is pretty much only derived from the saltiness of the chicharon. I suspect they make the broth from scratch--from bones as opposed to bouillon cubes. =) In any case, if they DO use bouillon cubes, you wouldn't taste it in the broth. The soup is a good mix of natural meat goodness, the slight sweet note of onions, and the very slight-salty-rich taste of fat from the chicharon. Yum! ^_^ It can actually be a meal in itself, but the Hubby and I usually share because we have to leave room for the main dish! =D


One must taste the Inasal, of course. Hay, naku! Slightly sweet, slightly salty. Perfect, especially when you dip it into sinamak, soy sauce and calamansi. WOW!!! I'm salivating even as I type. Hahaha! 'D Man, seriously. I AM SALIVATING. Haha! Yum, yum! ^_^ Granted, I like the garlic rice better in the other joints, but it's basically because they put more annato oil, compared to the J.T. garlic rice version. Hey, I'm not complaining though. I love J.T.!!! (The chicken, I mean. Haha! =D)



The last time we went, I also discovered something new. I'd usually go for Paa (thigh and leg), Baticolon (gizzard) and isol (chicken tails). Last time, I discovered the Corazon! Corazon is chicken heart. Too much to take for most people (Hubby Sweet included), but I just love, love its flavor and gummy texture. *Sigh* ^_^



We were running errands the last time we went so we didn't have time for dessert. Oh, well. Maybe next time. We did find time to buy from one of those stalls that line the street. You know, the ones selling Pangasinan puto and kutsinta. Each brown bag costs P35.00. I remember trying the kutsinta before and loving it. They were out this time though so I had to settle for the puto. Sadly, not as good. (I've been spoiled rotten by the heavenly orange mini-puto from Marikina, haha.) Still, I belatedly thought that if we had bought the puto before we sat down in J.T., it would have perfectly matched the bachoy since the white Pangasinan mini-putos tasted much like puto Manapla. Oh, well. Next time! And yes, for sure, there will be a next time! =D


















********************************************

J.T. Manukan is along Gilmore Ave. To get there, drive down the Greenhills side of Ortigas Ave. Cross the Santolan Intersection. Beyond the Santolan intersection, Ortigas Ave. weirdly changes its name to Gilmore. Haha! Look for J.T. Manukan on the right side. It might be easy to miss for first timers. Tip: it's right next to Carrot Cake and Pan De Manila. If you see the gigantic signs of these two shops, stay on the right side na. As far as I know, parking is allowed along the street because that's what we usually do. Still, it would be best to check with the "parking attendant" before you leave your car. =)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where the streets names change is where San Juan ends and Quezon City begins... Rocks

TOYANG & TWEETY said...

Finally! Someone with a decent explanation for the change in names! Haha. 'D

Thanks, Rocky. =)

Unknown said...

cool! JT is a friend of mine. I introduced him to jay in bora 05..he's a good guy.. very ilongo! because he never, ever runs out of iced cold SMB and SMB Light--never! hahahha
and yes, he serves good inasal, too!

cheers!

TOYANG & TWEETY said...

Really?! The next time you see him, tell him, I love, LOVE his resto. =D