Friday, April 11, 2008

STREET FOOD: PART 1

While we're on the subject of home-cooking, I felt inspired to write about two of our favorite roadside eateries. =)

The first one, I've heard about long before the Hubby and I actually met. Over the years, I have heard numerous officemates rave about the bulalo in Sosing's. On our way to the Rizal Coliseum to watch the Philippine leg of the Davis Cup one weekend (yes, the Hubby is a tennis-player-and-wakeboarder-rolled-into-one), Hubby Sweet decided to take the sidestreets of Makati, instead of going through the major thoroughfares. It's going to be faster that way, he said. So there I was just looking absent-mindedly out the window when I saw the sign and something in my mind clicked. I think I almost gave the Hubby a heart attack when I shrieked. Haha! 'D He apparently knew of Sosing's (and has eaten there before) so he did not quite share my level of absolute delight at finally seeing that this "urban legend" of roadside eateries actually exists. Hahaha! 'D


It being a Saturday, the place was devoid of the white-collared office workers whom--I have been told--actually choose to eat there (dust and all) in their crisp, long-sleeved shirts and ties. On weekends, I suppose, Sosing's converts into a one-stop shop for ulam for the neighbors. Haha. Occasionally, we'd find some politician mixing it up with the hoi poloi. (I couldn't blame them. I will give them the benefit of the doubt that they really go there for the food. =)) Always, ALWAYS (!), however, we'd arrive to find the place packed.


When you get to Sosing's, go straight to the "counter". There, at least 10 different kawalis will be laid out containing a variety of dishes. Menudo, adobo, caldereta, sinigang, bicol express.....etc., etc., etc. There would always be a good mix of beef, pork, chicken and seafood viands to choose from. Regardless of what you order, you can always ask for a free bowl of their famous nilaga. Soup nga lang, no meat, if you want it free. You order at the counter and try and secure the first available space you can find. Haha! At Sosing's, be prepared to always "share a table". =) Secure in your space, you may simply wait for the "waiters" (more houseboys, really) to serve your orders in mismatched plates, along with a serving of rice and the drink of your choice (which they usually buy from the nearby sarisari store). =)


The first time we went, I, of course, had to go for the famous bulalo. Sosing's version is actually quite flavorful. The soup is surprisingly quite peppery. The meat was very tender. It was the kind that falls apart before you can even seriously tear it apart with your spoon and fork. Haha! 'D It's actually good.......but.....well.......the thing is, Hubby Sweet makes a mean nilagang baka. And when I say mean, I mean it's sooooooooo good, you wouldn't mind having it over and over lunch and dinner for a week!


The Hubby's version is rich and flavorful with a "clean" beefy note permeating through the soup, the veggies and the meat. It's everywhere in the dish--as opposed to the flavor being confined only to the meat or the soup. He tells me the secret to the rich but clean note is that he first makes sankutsa ginger to get rid of the lansa of the beef before he pressure-cooks everything to practical "beef melting point". =) Yum! ^_^ So, there! While Sosing's Bulalo is not bad, the Hubby's version of nilagang baka beats it hands-down. =)




Still, Sosing's is good for satisfying our cravings when we want something simple. Their menudo is good (but the Hubby's is better). Their adobo is great (but I still prefer Mother's). Their Bicol Express is decent....but....the thing is, I make a mean Bicol Express. It's the one dish I can do well. (Granted, I don't make it often, Haha!) So there. =) Still, Sosing's satisfies our need for something quick and something uncomplicated--especially for particular Saturdays packed with a million things-to-do. =)


Oh, but the last time we went to Sosing's, the Hubby and I did discover something worth raving about. Haha. With the onslaught of summer, the owner deemed it wise to put up a halo-halo stand. May dessert na sa Sosings! Haha! 'D Of course, diets be damned, we just had to try it. (Good grief, how on earth am I going to lose weight?! Hay! =P)


Sosing's halo-halo is a treasure chest of traditional Filipino "minatamis na...". Minatamis na saging. Minatamis na beans. Minatamis na langka. Minatamis na ube. Minatamis na sago....HAHAHA! 'D All topped with crushed ice, milk and generous slivers of leche flan. Yum! ^_^ I think I like this one better than the highly overpriced Razon's (I mean, P70 for macapuno and saging? Come on!) and even my beloved Chowking halo-halo. I like it because it is simple and uncomplicated, but very, very flavorful! ^_^ Oh, did I also mention that at P18.00, it was also relatively cheap? Haha. =)

Hubby Sweet and I had to laugh though when I started mixing it because it all of a sudden turned into this weird shade of ORANGE. Hahaha! 'D We weren't sure if it's because of the orange pinipig or the orange gulaman. We didn't care. Haha! To this day, I still dream about it. Yum! ^_^

If you don't mind eating by the roadside, if you don't mind the dust and heat (I personally cannot imagine myself eating there in office clothes), if you don't mind eating next to a fully operational vulcanizing shop (haha, yes, it IS next to a vulcanizing shop), go for Sosing's! =)


***********************************


From Buendia, turn right on Dian and just go straight until you hit Zobel Roxas. Sosing's is actually at the intersection. Right side. I suggest you either go by 11:30 or delay lunch to around 12:30. It'll increase your chances of finding street parking. If you can't find streetparking, try negotiating with the gasoline boys at the nearby Caltex station. P20.00 usually works. ;P.


J.T. Manukan next! =)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I luuuuuuuv Sosing's.... and JT Manukan. Kakatawa nga, my officemates were shocked that I not only knew of but regularly go to these places.

Have you heard of the Jolly Jeep along Rada (or is it C. Palanca) which serves really really good sisig? =)

TOYANG & TWEETY said...

Not yet! Man! We must try one of these days! =D Are they open on weekends?

Unknown said...

I miss Halo Halo!!!!! shucks

TOYANG & TWEETY said...

Yes, Mi. Ice Kacang will never compare. HAHAHA! 'D

Anonymous said...

not so 'sosy' sosing's, HAHAHA. marts and i should try this out sometime... been checking out some fine dining joints lately, this might be a welcome change (sa budget, hehe)

Anonymous said...

Hahaha! That's exactly what I thought! "Di masyadong sosy ang Sosing's". 'D Try niyo, pero wag niyo muna isama si Juan. =)