Thursday, September 13, 2007

OUR PERFECT IMPERFECT WEDDING: PART 2 / JULY 15,2006

This is the second in the wedding flashback series. Read on.....=)

**************************************************************

4:00 turned to 4:05 which then turned to 4:08 which then turned to 4:10....Yes, apparently time is reduced into 2-3 minute intervals when you're waiting for something important to start. Worse, if you know that you only have a set time to get it done. "To give way to other church functions, each wedding is strictly allotted only 1 hour 30 minutes, inclusive of all photo sessions, blah-blah-blah....It would therefore be best to start the ceremony on time," the church guidelines stated. Manong Driver, probably sensing that I don't need the additional stress thankfully remained quiet. "Why haven't we started yet?" I thought, as I sat in the car, motionless and feeling totally out of control. It was then that I looked out to the left side of the church, and saw Then-Soon-To-Be-Husband-Sweet pacing in and out of the church's side door, talking to someone on his cell. His forehead was creased. He looked like he was about to cry. Almost instantly, I knew why. In the seeming rush as we all waited for 4:00 p.m.--with guests tapping on the window before moving on, with Marts joining me in the bridal car, with all the small talk with Manong D--it all of a sudden dawned on me that I have not yet seen his parents.


We haven't started yet because Mama E & Papa D were not yet there to walk him down the aisle.

In that particular moment, seeing my future husband looking both defiant and helpless (if that is at all possible), I all of a sudden did not care much for the ceremony and all its trappings. At that particular moment, the only thing I wanted to do was to rush out of the car to hug him and tell him that everything will be alright.

"Mam, may kotse pong kadarating lang," Manong D blurted out, interrupting my thoughts, thankfully allowing me enough time to breathe and release all the tension building up inside me. "Yun po ba yung hinihintay niyo?"

"Thank God," I remember whispering as I turned my head to watch the blue-green Sentra ease slowly into a parking space. I looked to the other side in time to see Arv U (Hubby S's brother-in-law) rushing out of the church to the parking car, followed by a bunch of Soon-To-Be-Hubby Sweet's cousins. All of them looked like they seemed ready to literally carry his parents bodily into the church.

Mama E & Papa D have finally arrived. It was the longest 15 minutes of my life.

Heaving a sigh of relief, I resumed my mantra for the day: think happy thoughts...think happy thoughts.....One very deep breath in. Blow it all out. I looked up the church steps and saw three of my cousins and one of my other cousin's boyfriend unfurling the canopy. It had started to drizzle again just as the march was about to start. From where they stood, Ko', Dooders and Zaldee all smiled at me. I think one of them even gave me a thumbs-up, although I don't remember now which one. True to form, Arn-Arn, my cousin Tur's boyfriend, gave me a funny face. Hahaha. All is right in the world again. =)
After a few minutes, all four started down the church steps. Manny (my lead coordinator for the reception) opened the car door. I was a bit surprised, but man, was I glad to see him! He smiled at me as he helped me out of the car, "I had to leave the reception venue for a while. I always make it a point to see the bride walk down the aisle. Don't worry, everything has been taken cared of at The Loft." Heaven-sent. =)

I walked up the church steps, trying carefully not to trip. It's not the easiest thing to do when you actually feel like a gigantic cupcake in 3-inch heels. To make things worse, I have to be extra-careful about stepping over puddles lest my bridal gown (which was champagne gold to begin with and not the traditionally blinding white) be muddied up before I even enter the church. Manny helped me with the hem and the veil, as my three+1 cousins held the canopy up, stopping everytime we stopped, side-stepping everytime Manny & I did so. Man! Parang Santacrusan ah. I stifled a giggle, but I was really laughing my heart out inside.

We finally made it up the steps, took my place at the end of the line. I couldn't see anything. I deliberately practiced wearing 3-inch heels because T-S-T-B-Hubby-Sweet-Pa-Lang is a good foot taller than me and I didn't want to look like a midget beside him in all the pictures. ;P Even so, I was still smaller than most people who, BTW, also chose to wear heels on that day. Patay! =) I actually found it amusing that I felt like one of those people who need to keep jumping up & down in a throng just to be able to get a glimpse of what's going on. I could here the choir singing "Canticorum Lubilo" quite majestically and felt that I could literally hear angels singing from heaven. The Ateneo Chamber Singers. Good choice, I thought. Interspersed with the soaring choir notes, I could hear Ultra-Adorable Ray*-B cry. Or was it Pretty-Lily? I am no longer sure. My cute little flower girls seemed to be suffering from stage fright, all practice walks in the past few months completely forgotten. No worries. I'm sure Achi Patita can pull it off effortlessly. She has done it before and has actually looked forward to this day like it was Christmas.

Pusjing (my sister & maid-of-honor) soon stepped into the church. My parents followed soon after. Manny held me back. Just as my parents were taking their first step up the aisle, the church doors were closed.
All of a sudden, there was silence.

Manny stepped in front of me and gave me the bouquet. "Don't hold the bouquet too high, T&T. Hold it this way so all the colors of the flowers will show in the pictures," he advised as he placed the flowers in the right & exact position on my hands. He looked at me and beamed before pulling the veil over my head. "Wait for the doors to open. Don't forget to smile," he said as he stepped aside.

The entire thing must have taken no more than three minutes, but standing just a foot away in front of those closed doors seemed like forever to me. I couldn't even look back at my cousins (who were all still outside with me, holding the canopy), afraid that the door might all of a sudden pop open to reveal me "making chika" instead of waiting to walk down the aisle. Hahaha. ;P

"Last chance to escape," Dooders kidded.

I laughed.

"Ano, game na? Nasa 'kin yung susi ng kotse," Arn-Arn joined in.

"Tumahimik ka," I countered, "Di ba bukas na ang kasal mo?" It was an old joke between Arn-Arn, Hubby Sweet & me.

We all laughed. It was probably a sight to see, all four of us who grew up together, plus one ex-stranger who is now considered family, bantering outside an old church in our formals, the entire time facing a closed door instead of each other. I imagined Noni (my favorite lola) smiling as she looked down at us from heaven.

"Game na talaga?" they asked.

I took a deep breath.

"Game na," I said and smiled as the door finally began to open, it seemed, in extremely slow motion.

********************************************************
TO BE CONTINUED....
P.S. - For those of you who actually noticed, I don't have a train because....uh....I left it in the hotel! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! 'D I've been soooo used to just trying on the gown without the train during the fittings, I completely forgot about it in all the rush from the hotel to the church. Man, I swear, I am sooooooooooooo clueless when it comes to clothes! Haha! 'p

No comments: