Friday, September 7, 2007

OUR PERFECT IMPERFECT WEDDING: PART 1 / JULY 15,2006

Consider this as part of my flashback series. =) It was originally published in my friendster blogsite. Unfortunately, since I have a "free account" in friendster, it's currently shelved in the archive and cannot be easily read on a whim. That said, I thought I'd repost it here with a few changes specific to the coded names and a few builds on the pics. After all, what adventure could be bigger than me getting married! Haha! =D


***************************************************************

This is a MUCH DELAYED post. Sorry. People have actually been telling me to write about the wedding. I would've wanted to much earlier, but first we had to go on our honeymoon, go back to Manila to take around all our fantastic relatives who came home from the U.S., Canada and the Middle East just for the wedding, go to my Lola Lucy so she can meet Kiko (she sent my dad to school, but was unable to attend because of old age) , then finally go back to work to find 2-weeks worth of paper & e-mail backlogs. This weekend, we're going to go home to Boac to meet the rest of his relatives (who for one reason or another were also unable to go to Manila for the wedding). Hay. I suppose after reading through that whirlwind, I will be forgiven for not having written earlier. I also HOPE to be forgiven for not having written a single thank you note for the gifts YET! Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! I will get to it eventually. =(

Anyway! On to the meat of this blog.

After being deluged with heavy rain three consecutive days prior to the wedding (thanks to Typhoon Florita), I started praying, "God, you know what, I've been praying for July 15 to be a perfect day all year, so even though it is only 3 days to the wedding, and it looks like I would have to ride an ark instead of a bridal car, I have great & unwavering faith that when I wake up on Saturday, the rain would have stopped and that the sun will be shining. I KNOW You will make it happen." To which God probably replied, "Oh, yeah? Then why did you call up one of your suppliers to have him make a canopy using umbrella cloth?" Touche. =) God apparently has a sense of humor. On July 15, Saturday, I woke up to feel the sun shining through the stained glass windows of The Legend Villa's Suite 103. I rushed out to verify, and there it was. The sun, THE GLORIOUS SUN, shining intensely--amidst a soft, gentle mist. "Yeh of little faith," He must have said while shaking His all-knowing head, "I promised you the sun and so there it is, but I might as well make it drizzle a bit so you can use your darn canopy as well!" Hahaha. Point taken, God. ;P

Now, I planned a perfect wedding. The major difference between a DMPI Sales Conference and our wedding, I realized, is that in a DMPI salescon, I am working "behind-the-scenes" to make sure everything is perfect. During our wedding, at several points (mostly during the mass), it took EVERYTHING in me NOT to get up to tell my coordinators, "Teka, alam mo di ganyan ang pinag-usapan natin! Tabi dyan. Ako na." The Day Coordinators we hired divided themselves into two teams. While I LOVE to death the team who handled the reception, I want to kill all those belonging to the team who handled the requirements at the church. Brief background: before finalizing the wedding misalette, I TRIED to submit it to the church for final clearance. The church secretary told me that since we were going to bring our own priest, we would need to have the misalette cleared with our priest instead. So we did. Two weeks before the wedding, we actually gave the church a copy of the misalette (because they need the list of ninongs, etc. daw so they will know how many special places to set up for). "Done. One more thing to cross off my 'To Do List'", I remember thinking after submitting the missalette to the church secretary. On the day of the wedding, the manangs at the church apparently kept harassing the coordinators that the misalette was not cleared with the church, etc., etc. My wengweng coordinators, instead of resolving the issue, actually ended up letting the manangs harass me instead! Santa Barbara. Hay! =( So there I was in the bridal car arguing with the manangs that, first, the misalette has been cleared with our own priest as THEIR secretary had directed me, and second, a copy was actually given to the church 2 weeks ago. If they had a problem with it, why couldn't they have contacted me then?! Man, those who have ever gone into an argument with me know that they will not win as long as I know that I did nothing wrong. Apparently, Manang #1 realized that and calmly told me, "It's OK, hija. Sige, let me just talk to your commentator na lang. Smile! It is, after all, your wedding day." "Duh," I wanted to actually blurt out, "that's exactly what I was doing until you came along!" Lech. Then again, before I left the hotel, I already conditioned myself that whatever happens, I will not let it ruin my day. "This is a happy, happy day! Must think happy thoughts, must think happy thoughts...." I repeated over and over and over.

So there I was, happily sitting in the bridal car, thinking, "So this is how a fish in an aquarium feels like." Hahaha. =) People were tapping at the window, waving, smiling, mouthing words I could barely understand before moving on to chat with the other guests who were waiting outside the church. My final time of quiet solitude was only broken by short intermissions of small talk with Manong Driver--at least, until it was so rudely interrupted by the sight of Marts, one of my bridesmaids, rushing up the church steps fully made-up, BUT wearing only jeans and a blue, checkered polo.

"HOOOOOOOOYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!" I shouted as I rolled down the window, waving for her to approach the car. She turned, a mild look of horror crossed her face at about the same time a very loud, "Putang-ina!" escaped from her lips. Then, as it usually is with Marts and me, we both burst out laughing. "Leche ka, nagtatago ako sa'yo 'no!" she exclaimed as she climbed onto the front passenger seat.

"Leche ka rin," I retorted, "Bakit ka naka-jeans???!!!!"

"Eh nagpa-make-up ako sa Makati thinking I will have enough time to go back home (side note: to Kamias!). Eh, naubusan ng time. Di bale, dadalin naman ni Bij yung damit ko."

"Pano kung di siya dumating on time?!"

"Eh, di...eh, di.....ganun," she shrugged.

"Ganun?!" I countered, one eyebrow raised.

"Ganun," she smiled sheepishly before we both burst out laughing again.

MAN! I REALLY NEED NEW FRIENDS!!! Eternal joke between Marts and me. 'Am actually quite happy to have spent the last few minutes of my singlehood laughing my head off with her instead of just sitting demurely in the car. Bij (her husband) eventually came rushing up the church steps, gown in hand. "Ayan na si Bij! San ang CR dito? Sya, sya! Good luck. Babay!" Marts waved as she rushed out of the car to meet Bij. Take note, "BABAY!" Hahaha. She is so going to kill me. =)

Finding myself alone in the car with Manong again, we resumed the small talk. Surveying the scene of family and friends milling about outside the church, I told him, "Alam mo, Manong, sa lahat ng ginastos namin sa kasal na 'to, na-realize ko ngayon, ang kailangan lang talaga naman namin ako, yung pakakasalan ko, yung pari chaka yung mga pamilya at kaibigan namin. Solb na! Yung iba bonus na lang. Yung mga damit. Yung mga bulaklak. Yung ibang ek-ek...."

"Mam," he interrupted, "pwede na kayo magpakasal."

"Di pa, Manong. Wala pang pari."
"Meron na, Mam. Ayun o," he said as he pointed to an AUV, "Nagsusutana."
"Onga, no!" I exclaimed. Having seen Then-Soon-To-Be-Hubby-Sweet-Pa-Lang earlier with his best fried Ehd, I was ecstatic at the idea that everything seemed to be already in place.

"Game na, Mam. Pwede na," Manong Driver smiled as he took a sideways glance at me.

"Onga, Manong. Game na! Anong oras na po?"

"Alas kwatro na po," he said as he turned to me, tapping his watch, a quizzical look on his face. "Di po ba alas kwatro ang kasal niyo?"

"Alas kwatro na? Sigurado kayo, Manong?"

"Opo. Pero sa relo ko lang po ha. Baka naman advance relo ko."

I rolled down the window and waved to one of my coordinator's assistants who ambled to the car ever so slowly, clipboard in hand.

"Dear, anong time na?"

"Four p.m. po."

"Bat di pa nags-start?" I asked calmly, trying to keep my composure (think happy thoughts, think happy thoughts...) as my almost anal need for punctuality started to bubble up inside me.

"Di ko po alam. May inaayos po yata sa entourage....Yata....Yun po yung alam ko....Pero di ko po talaga alam....Uh....time out lang po, check ko" she said tentatively before rushing off. I knew she was not coming back. Odd, I thought. She seemed eager to put as much distance between her and me.

"Must think happy thoughts....Must think happy thoughts...." I said to myself over and over, even as I made a mental note to kill all my church coordinators as soon as the mass is over. Hahaha. =)

******************************************

TO BE CONTINUED....I have to work first. ;P

No comments: