Monday, November 16, 2009

THE KEBAB FACTORY =D

Despite our self-imposed major tipid-tips period (in preparation for what would have been the big turnover this month), Hubby Sweet and I have been eating out a lot lately. Work stress and other factors, aggravated by turnover issues (looks like it ain't going to happen as planned, but we're hoping it will actually turn out to be one of those serendipitous events where things don't go your way, but you, quite unexpectedly, end up with what you really want). Am I talking in riddles? Never mind. In time, I suppose, I will explain.

In the meantime, all these seem to have converged into a perfect storm that has reduced Hubby Sweet and me into snapping turtles. Hay....times like these, we need to eat out. That's our way of de-stressing. Our own version of happiness fairy dust. Haha. =)

One of those nights brought us to the latest dining destination @ The Fort, Burgos Circle. Without anyone noticing and without so much as a peep, the area has evolved into a cubihole where mini-versions of Manila's best restaurants seem to have taken root. Good Earth. Cantinetta. Cafe Juanita. UCC. Mile High. Etc., etc. I wasn't in the mood for Good Earth. Hubby Sweet was not in the mood for Italian. We live in the same neighborhood as the original Cafe Juanita so we decided to pass up on that to. In the end, one of the relative unknowns drew both the Hubby and me to it.


The Kebab Factory. We have always liked Mid-Eastern cuisine and it has been a while since we visited Hossein's so the choice was pretty unanimous.

Hubby Sweet asked for fried oxbrain (yesssssssss.....=D), but it was unfortunately not on the menu. I decided to start with Hummus served with a side serving of pita instead. Hummus, in and by itself, is already something I love, although the version at The Kebab Factory was a bit bland for my taste.


Fortunately, alongside the hummus, the waiter also brought some sort of yoghurt-garlic sauce and a ramekin of what I soon found out was their version of (very hot) chili sauce. (I suspect it was really meant for the kebabs that we ordered.) I decided to experiment and scooped a spoonful of each dip onto my plate. I wiped the hummus with my pita, dipped it next in the yoghurt-garlic sauce and finally onto the chili sauce. One bite. It was magic. *Wide eyes with big, big grin. =D*


Now, Hubby Sweet usually goes for the Beef Kebabs, but the version that they have were made from minced meat (as opposed to real cubes). I have learned from so many visits to Hossein's that if you want the real cubed meat, you order the Shish Kebab version. The Shish Kebab version @ the factory was lamb (which was perfect for me because I like lamb and I like my kebabs in actual cubes). I was quite surprised to find the Hubby ordering the same (as he is not really a fan of lamb). 'Twas a pleasant surprise for me, nonetheless, as it was another manifestation for me that Hubby Sweet is sloooooowly turning into a creature of foodie adventure (as opposed to being the creature of habit that he was of old). Two thumbs up! Woohoooooooooooo!!! =D

Our Shish Kebabs arrived soon enough, and without even tasting it, I knew it was going to be good. My goodness! The smell, the smell! Wow. =D If I had to imagine lamb being roasted in some middle eastern dessert, I would imagine it smelling that way. It was unlike any of the smells of the various "authentic kebabs" I've tried. Never mind the rest, THIS smelled authentic!


At first bite, I was rendered speechless. It was soooooooooo good, I had to close my eyes as I savored every single flavor dimension. The taste was wonderfully complicated with the game-iness of the lamb being complemented beautifully by an unknown mix of spices.

At first bite, I thought I just about died and went to kebab heaven. ^_^

I looked over to Hubby Sweet. He looked like he just about died right along with me. Haha!

*Sprinkling Happiness Fairy Dust all around....*

WOW. =D

****************************************************

The Kebab Factory is on Burgos Circle inside the Bonifacio Global City. If you're coming from the Buendia overpass, turn right on the street with Jollibee at the corner. Two street corners down, you will already find yourself at the Burgos circle. Ask the guard for directions to the parking area. =D

Good vegetarian restaurants are hard to find in Manila (as I found out recently). We had visiting consultants from India and one of them was vegetarian. I had to feed the poor thing the exact same veggie sandwich everyday because it was the only veggie option accessible to the office! Naku! Good to know that The Kebab Factory has an extensive list of vegetarian dish options. If he ever comes back (he has since proposed only tele- and web-based conferences, I wonder why, haha) I would at least have some other option for him. =)

P.S. - I also noticed that my pics have been on the yellow side lately. It's because I pressed some stupid setting on my phone (yes, all my pics are taken with a cell cam, haha). I suppose this means the "yellowness" will persist over a few more blogs. ACK! =D

3 comments:

lenlen said...

yet another restaurant i would have to bug (and beg) keith to take me to :) hahaha
i really must stop reading your blogs, ate eileen, if i want to do this losing weight thing . . .

toyang&tweety said...

HAHAHA!!! =D Pwede naman. Kebab is technically protein. Hummus is made with chickpeas so technically, legumes so technically protein. Wag mo lang sasamahan ng sandamakmak na rice or pita or nan. (Yun din ang note to self ko. Haha! =D)

toyang&tweety said...

And, BTW, Lenlen, stay away from the C2 post below. Haha! Yun ang killer. Haha! =D