Wednesday, November 25, 2009

COUGH SEASON =(

Around this time of the year, the inevitable happens.

As the temperature drops to a cool breeze at night, even as it scales the heights of scorching heat mid-day, my system goes out of wack and triggers some sort of mechanism in my lungs. As October gives way to November and December, every single year (I kid you not), I end up with a really bad, debilitating cough. The kind that leaves me wheezing after walking short distances. The kind that leaves me (and unfortunately, everyone else within hearing distance) wide awake at night.

Just last week, I struggled with this, my annual visitor. By Sunday, every cough that struggled to get out of my lungs seemed to trigger a switch that tells my head it wants to explode as well. I was sleepy. I was tired. I had a splitting headache from being sleepy and tired.

Regular cough syrups don't do it for me. Usually, the only thing strong enough to aid me through this unfortunate curse is Ventolin (which is really bordering on anti-asthma medicine when you think about it).

Sunday evening (after a week long battle with the cough without me looking like I was going to emerge as the winner anytime soon), Hubby Sweet took one look at me and declared that he was going off to Mercury to get me Ascof. Weh? I've heard of it from a radio commercial once--something about Lucy Torres giving Juliana only the safest and most natural ingredients. Ascof made from Lagundi leaves....followed by the usual caveat in the end "No Approved Therapeutic Claims". Ngyar.

"It's organic, Tweet. Made from herbs and leaves," he said as he tried to convince me who grew up with commercial cough syrups.

I was admittedly wary ("No Approved Therapeutic Claims" flashing like a neon light in my brain), but I did not really have the strength to argue with the Hubby. My head was throbbing enough as it is. At that point, I was willing to take anything.


I poured. Green-bordering-on-black liquid. True, it did look like one of those yucky concoctions that Sister Pusjing, Cousin Tur and I used to prepare out of gumamela leaves from Noni's garden (back in the day when we did not have high-tech cooking "utensils" to play with). It was dark green, almost like water in consistency. It didn't look promising. What the heck, I took a swig.


I felt instant relief. True, it wasn't the best-tasting thing in the world, but the cool menthol flavor immediately soothed my throat. I felt better already and it wasn't even working yet!

Did it? Work, I mean?

Let's just say, that night, I slept soundly--interrupted only by very short cough episodes where I almost instantly coughed out yuck (try NOT to imagine =)). No long, drawn-out coughing episodes where I struggled to get the yuck out with not much success.

No approved therapeutic claims said the mandatory end-tag in the commercial.

Never mind. I know now that it works. =D

Makes me think there must be something to all these "herb & nature" supplements with no approved therapeutic claims.

Hmmnnnnn.....maybe I should try Fitrum next. Haha! =D

7 comments:

barton said...

Perfect! Now our cough and cold brands will increase sales!

mia lou said...

Maybe you can take anti-histamines like Cetirizine or Loratadine. It's allergy season this time of the year.

lenlen said...

keith swears by ascof-lagundi also. He took it last week for 3 days and he would cough out all the yucky goo in the morning. If not for the way it looks, I would give it to Kirsten and Alonso na din sana.

Unknown said...

I took Ascof too a couple of weeks back. Had a terrible cough, bordering on Asthma. Ang hirap matulog because of wheezing. Ascof's the best tasting cough medicine, nakaka-adik. Haha. Next time I'll try yung strawberry flavor, masarap daw sabi ng friend ko. :)

Unknown said...

I agree! I took Ascof too a couple of weeks back because of a terrible cough bordering on asthma. Hirap matulog because of the wheezing. It tasted really good, parang masarap haluan ng crushed ice. Hahaha.

peter said...

Good to hear it made you feel better ;p

Mike Mo said...

This is my magic potion too! Ok 'to!"