Friday, November 14, 2008

TURNING JAPANESE: ZAIFU, ROCKWELL =D

I've blogged about Japanese restaurants before. Sango, Pepper Lunch, Yamazaki. I realize that I have not yet encountered a Japanese restaurant I have not liked. Well, maybe Tokyo Tokyo these days would be an exception. (Then again, they did start out OK way back in the old Park Square Gift Gate in the 80's. =)) Heck, I even like UCC, except that I don't get to go as often anymore since we moved offices.

Anyway! =D

I figured I might as well start and complete my Japanese series.

Further down Pepper Lunch in Rockwell, one would find the original "Rockwell default restaurant" for Hubby Sweet and me. I used to eat there a lot with BFF Apes when we were still both single, staying all night in one of those lowered tables with cushions for seats, yapping about the latest goings-on in our lovelives. Now, I made the mistake of introducing Hubby Sweet to Zaifu. I say it's a mistake because he loved it sooooooo much, he has--since then--refused to eat in any other restaurant everytime we're in Rockwell! Ngek. I'm hoping Pepper Lunch will give us a bit of respite the next time we go. =)


My default order in Zaifu is the very generic, very safe Gyoza. Now, I don't always like Gyoza, but the the one in Zaifu, I do. I also think it provides good value (@ P70 per plate the last time we ate), and is perfect for my eternal low-carb diet. I know it does not look like much in this pic, but that's because by the time I remembered to take it, the Hubby, cousin Dooders and myself have already devoured our share. =)


The Hubby, on the other hand, always goes for the usual Ebi Tempura, but really likes going to Zaifu because of two grilled fish plates. The Shishamo would be first and they are really small, thin fish that seem to have fish roe for innards. You bite into one and almost instantly, little fish eggs burst in your mouth. I admit, this one I also like. =) The servers say the fish are imported as they cannot be found in local waters. I suppose so. The only other shishamo I laid my eyes on here in Manila was the frozen kind in one of the mini-Japanese groceries. =)


The other fish dish Hubby Sweet goes for is the Grilled Mackerel. Nothing fancy here. It's good actually, but I really can't help thinking he can get this anywhere else. Haha! Still, if it's what he wants to eat, so be it. A side order of hot-steaming white rice takes his enjoyment level a notch higher. =)


The last time we were there, Cousin Dooders also ordered the Rainbow Roll. It was OK, but then again, after you eat the Rainbow Roll in that Japanese Restaurant next to The Pen along Makati Ave (my memory is soooooooo bad, I can't remember it's name! Ack! =(), everything just pales in comparison. Then again, the vast difference in price would probably explain it. Come to think of it, this does not even look anything like the Rainbow Roll in the Makati Ave Japanese restaurant. =)


Now, I need you to help me out as I know this will bug me until I remember. What's the name of that Japanese- Restaurant-Next-to-The-Pen-Along-Makati-Ave again? =)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

wasabi. natakam ako sa blog mo! -- marts
my default order in zaifu is the dragon maki and gyudon -- bj

Anonymous said...

WASABI! Correct! How could I forget?! =) I miss Wasabi....=(

Anonymous said...

man, you should try the Gyoza in Shin Juku. Makati ave malapit sa North Park. They also serve the best (and biggest in terms of serving size) ramens in town if you're into noodle soups. Hindi kagandahan ang restaurant sa loob pero better naman sya than Suzukin (Kamagong St., another must try). Japanese food rocks man!

Anonymous said...

Lee! Shin Juku! I ate there once with Mina and Sharin. Haha. Sinlaki yata ng batya yung ramen na in-order ko. HAHA! But you're right. Masarap nga dun. I've been to Suzukin na rin. Best value for money. Hmmmnnn...Kiko and I should go to these places one of these days. =D

Anonymous said...

my default order in zaifu is the dragon maki and gyudon -- bj

Hmmmnnnn...will try the next time we go. Para maiba naman. =D