Monday, November 10, 2008

PEPPER LUNCH / NOVEMBER 6,2008

I've been meaning to try Pepper Lunch over the past few months (having read about it repeatedly in several blogs), but had been discouraged by posts about the long lines. Thursday evening last week proved to be perfect. I had time to kill as I had to go to a 9:30 p.m. (yes, p.m.!) soundtrack recording session, and BFF Apes miraculously called to ask if I wanted to have dinner. Since she works in that milk company right next to Rockwell, I demanded that we meet up at Pepper Lunch. Haha. =) No biggie. She's a big fan of anything Japanese (having stayed in Japan in her younger years).

I arrived ahead of Apes and took my place in line. Thankfully, it was not that long. There were no more than 10 people in front of me (and I estimated all of them to make up around 3 groups, tops). I peered into the restaurant to also find a lot of empty tables. Great! This shouldn't be too painful, I thought.

Famous last words....Ngyah. =D

I realize now that if ever I go back to Pepper Lunch (which I intend to do at least with the Hubby in tow), I have to be prepared to have the mealtime chika while waiting in line! Apes arrived a few minutes after I did, but it must have taken us almost 30 minutes of standing in line before we actually got the go-signal to step "over the threshhold" (=)) and line up at the counter to place our orders.

Pepper Lunch is not the place to go to if you're short on time and if you're running on a tight budget. The cheapest main "value meal" on the menu goes for P235.00. Since it was my first time there, I opted to go for the Beef Pepper Rice which was supposed to be the most popular dish in the house. (I guess it's the most popular because it's "only P235.00". Hahaha! 'D)


I had mistakenly thought it would be cut-up steak tips, but it was actually yakiniku beef served on a sizzling plate with a bed of rice. Rookie mistake, I did not "season" my beef with the condiments on the table (brown honey sauce and some soy concoction) as I only noticed them after I polished off everything on the plate! (Bad, bad me. Instead of losing 4 more pounds as I am being required, I must have instead gained all of it that night! Haha. (*Sheepish grin.=)*) Because of my rookie mistake, my beef ended up on the bland side. Never mind. The rice was flavorful enough. Pepper Lunch makes a big deal about the fact that they prepare their pepper fresh everyday. I was actually quite skeptical about it. No. Confused may be the better word. The sarcastic reaction "SO?!" comes to mind. Haha. Apparently, it makes all the difference in the world! Because of the "fresh pepper", the rice came out absolutely delicious! If there's any that I would have liked less of in the dish, it would be the oiliness. Then again, that's probably a given since it was served with yakiniku. =) Also a word of caution. The rice can be hot--really hot!--as I found out when I placed my first spoonful into my mouth. My eyes literally watered. (Translation into the vernacular: Muntik na akong maiyak. HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! 'D)

Apes ordered a Seaweed Salad for herself. To be shaken, not tossed. =) I tried a bit of it. It was OK. She also ordered....uhhhhmmmm....I forgot what she ordered. In any case, it was a bit on the higher side at P320. Slightly thicker pieces of beef served on a sizzling plate (of course) with veggies and a side order of steamed rice.


























We capped off the meal and the chika with a dessert of Chocolate Lava Cake. Cholate dessert heaven. Yum! ^_^ I kept begging Apes to start eating as I was afraid I would actually get to finish all of it by myself! Naku...=)
The best thing about this meal? It was free! Yey! (Thanks, Apes for the belated birthday treat! =))
So there! My first Pepper Lunch experience. I do intend to go back, but next time, I will order myself a proper steak (P500+) and I will not forget to season. Haha! =D

2 comments:

Scenting Asia said...

Thank you for eating with us and many thanks for posting these nice pictures on your blog!
We really appreciate this :-)

Your friend must have had the cut steak, a thicker version of what you had. I hope she used our special sauces!?

Next time try to order the Shimofuri pepper steak, although it is more expensive but you get an excellent juicy soft steak from Australia. Shimofuri means "marbled"
You can also change the white steamed rice to mixed pepper rice while you order at the counter.

Finish your meal with chocolate cake a la mode for extra yumminess! ;-)

Take care and hope you and your hubby dine with us soon!

cheers,

www.pepperlunch.com.ph

TOYANG & TWEETY said...

Thanks for the tip, Jeroen! =) Yes, 'will definitely be back soon. =)