Wednesday, December 12, 2007

DELICIOUS DISH-COVERIES! =)

South Beach begone!!! Waaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!!! After successfully holding on to my 100-lbs weight for a good three months, I am back to my 112-lbs (maybe more). Ack! =(

Work did me in. Not having enough time these days to actually go and buy veggies (much less have time to cook them), the Hubby and I have resorted to eating out more and more. Fortunately for the hubby, he has his weekly wakeboarding and his 3x-a-week gym time to keep him fit. I, on the other hand, barely have time to comb my hair these days. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!! In addition to eating out, we have been rushing several TVCs and shoots. People in the industry would know what pre-prod and shoots mean. FOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!! An endless parade of food!!!!!!!!! Waaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In any case, I have resolved since Monday to at least try and eat more sensibly--in addition to resolving to eat in smaller portions. Haha. That means trading in my Venti Peppermint Mocha Frappucion for a hot Venti Peppermint Tea instead. It means eating smaller portions of rice. It means choosing to eat salad over lunch. All in all, it isn't such a bad deal. I actually don't mind eating these things. It's just that I don't usually choose them over the other yummy stuff. Haha! =D

With Christmas coming in about two weeks though, I thought it would be a good time to try and exercise some self-control. Not only will it prepare me better for the Christmas binges, it will also make sure I don't look like a butterball in all the Christmas pics! Haha!

So, anyway! This is my temporary goodbye post to all the delicious dish-coveries I've had in the past few months. =)


KKK! - A Food Revolution @ The Mall of Asia

In one rare Saturday that did not find Hubby Sweet on his way to Lago de Oro, we found ourselves trooping to The Mall of Asia, each with our own agendas. He wanted to go and check out the X-In-The-City event at the parking lot (which put together tournaments for several "extreme sports"--wall climbing, kite-skateboarding, wakeboarding, etc., etc.--in one place). I was on a mission to find a gift for ultra-precocious GB's 2nd birthday and another one for ultra-adorable Ray*-B's third. We got to the MOA in time for a late lunch, resolving to eat someplace we would never find in any of the Makati, the Fort and Ortigas malls and eating places that we usually go to.

After a quick survey of the menus parked outside each of the restaurants, the Hubby & I unanimously agreed on KKK. The twists in the menu intrigued us enough to decide that we were ready for a food revolution! Haha!



KKK is not too big. I think it can sit at most 50 people, but there were a few tables free by the time we got there, it being a late (almost 2:00 p.m.) lunch and all. =) We entered to find a gigantic mural along one wall of this photo of Jose Rizal and other revolutionaries. (My history teacher will kill me as I do not recognize the other two, haha!) 'Am not sure if this was based on an authentic photo, this being the digital age, but I thought it lent a kitschy-witty feel to the place. =)

In any case, a restaurant does not rate great because of its ambience. We must taste the food!!! 'Twas a hard choice with the menu filled with a slew of interesting dish options. Hubby Sweet and I, however, eventually decided on two viands: inasnang plapla (yey!) and sinigang na lechon (double yey!).

With two cups of steaming hot rice and two glasses of bottomless gulaman at sago. I was practically salivating and I haven't even seen the dishes yet! HAHA! How Pavlovian. Haha! 'P

The gulaman and sago came first in a syrupy green and red color combo served on a bed of crushed ice. Christmas in a glass! YES! =) As soon as I took my first sip--with the sago and gulaman siphoning up the straw before bursting in my mouth--I was glad I did not take the usual Coke Light route. Slightly pricey @ P75 for the bottomless option (I mean considering it's just sago and gulaman =)), but I suppose I have rationalized enough in my mind that it is the only drink worthy of the full KKK experience. Haha. =)

The sinigang na lechon was served not too long after. I found it intriguing, and almost instantly happily dug into the palayok to transfer single-serve portions of the lechon meat (surprisingly, the lechon balat was still reasonably crunchy! =)) with generous servings of kangkong leaves, talong, and kamatis swimming in the delightfully-sour tamarind broth into our individual bowls. Heaven. I don't know if it was because it was a late lunch, but it was heaven. Heaven in a bowl. Haha. The smokiness of the lechon meat blended wonderfully with the sour soup. One bite into the crunchy balat while sipping the soup had the Hubby Sweet and I scrambling for the last piece of skin! Haha. 'P
Hmmnnnn....hmmmmmnn...GOOD! No. Hmmmnnn.....hmmmmmnnnn...GREAT! =D We have thankfully discovered another way of dealing with leftover lechon--especially with the coming holidays! =D

We were way done with the sinigang na lechon when we realized the inasnang plapla has not yet been served. Nabitin tuloy ang Hubby! After repeated follow-ups and repeated apologies from the waiters and the kitchen staff, the dish finally arrived. Hubby Sweet and I sat in silence as we looked at the gigantic fish, not exactly sure how we were going to deal with it. It was caked in a thick white crust (which we later found out was coarse salt) with a side-serving of bagoong. The server explained, apologizing again, that it takes time for the heat to permeate through the salt crust to eventually cook the fish. "OK...", I thought, "How do we eat it?" Haha! She seem to have read my mind and proceeded to de-crust the fish. We dug into the bagoong side-dip and discovered a treasure of tomatoes and onions inside. Digging further down, we also discovered slivers of kamias! Yum! ^_^ I have never had kamias as part of the dip before, but I am now a convert. =)

Thankfully, the fish was not too salty--as I had expected, given the thick crust. It tasted fresh, but truth be told, it tasted quite ordinary (parang inihaw na isda lang! =)) but the presentation and the dip made it seem just a tad more special. Hubby S and I dug in and enjoyed the fish with whatever rice was still left. Matching the fish with the lechon sinigang soup was also divine. Hay......*Deep, deep sigh*...=)

Sya! This is it for now.
More of our dish-coveries in the next blog na lang!

Back to work muna ko....=)





*******************************************************************


P.S.!!!
If you want to try it out, KKK is on the ground floor of MOA--on the wing near the IMAX theater.
I think we spent around P750 here. Not exactly cheap, considering the restaurant is practically on "food-court" row where most of the mid- & low-price restaurants are. Still, it was worth the experience of at least finding something new! =D

No comments: