Wednesday, March 10, 2010

CRUISIN'..........=)

It's been a while.

As I drove down the entire stretch of the NLEX, traffic whizzed past me. I was alone in my car with nothing but music to keep me company. I turned the music up and sung to...errr....Michael Buble at the top of my lungs. (The CD was not mine, but it was the only one on deck coming from a weekend in House Better and driving in the car with Mother and Father.)

"This all seems vaguely familiar," I remember thinking, despite the seemingly inappropriate standard music soundtrack. I felt the blood rushing through my veins just a tad quicker. I couldn't help but smile.

I haven't driven down any long stretch of road alone in quite a while; it was something that I used to do quite often during The Wander Years.

"Dang!" I thought. I wish I still had the Charlie's Angels CD that I used to keep in my car. I laughed at the memory of me and BFF Gnet driving home from Malate in the wee hours of the morning, hands waving, heads banging as....uh...."Independent Women" blared out from the speakers. "All you women, independent," I would shout out, "throw your hands up at me...." Hahaha. =D

Those were my days of independence. Being the faster driver compared to all the other girls(except BFF Marts), and I suppose, being the more willing one (in addition to BFF Marts) to hop onto a car to pick-up and drop off everyone else, I was more often than not the "designated driver". I suppose the fact that I did not have kids to cook breakfast for and a husband waiting for me to arrive before the designated time also counted for something. I can come and go as I pleased. Ergo, I would be most flexible when it comes to time.

Those road trips from the Wander Years brought us to Punta Fuego for a Marketing teambuilding session, to Tagaytay for a coffee-planting tour, to Clark for a salescon, to Anilao for a weekend's stay at BFF Carmi's place, to an airstrip near Santo Tomas for a weekend skydiving adventure, to somewhere south for a visit to my cousin as he dealt with drug rehab, etc., etc.!

I was on my way to Fontana, this time for another salescon. Everyone else had to take the bus, but work, quite unfortunately prevented me from staying the entire three days. So I was driving to Angeles instead so I can attend Day 1 (for the serious business sessions) and drive back to Manila in time to submit RAOP requirements to Finance the following day.

This was my first salescon out of Marketing; my first salescon in Demand Management. And while the salescon (and the simultaneous covert parties in the villas that happen every night) is always fun, it is just as well that I needed to get back to Manila. In the past few years, I have been away every time the Hubby's birthday came along as it always coincided with salescon week. The bright side to me not being required to stay for the entire duration of the salescon this year is that, for the first time in years, the Hubby will actually get to wake up on his birthday with me by his side. (Woooohooooo! I am assuming, of course, that...uh...that's what he wants. Haha! =D)

I stopped by the Shell Station in Tabang. I was supposed to meet Judith there (one of my finance officemates) at 10:30 a.m. to make it in time for the opening lunch at the salescon venue. She lived in Bulacan and decided it would be too inconvenient to go all the way to the office at the Fort only to ride the bus that will take her all the way back to Pampanga. I offered to give her a ride, but I arrived too early. Not to worry; I came prepared. Just the day before, I had given up all hope that I would find Cousin Trix's New Moon copy (that I seem to have misplaced) and decided to just buy a replacement copy from "A Different Bookstore" in Serendra. I wanted to see the movie, but have always had this thing about reading the book first before seeing the movie. Waiting for Judith would give me time to finish a good part of the book (which, come to think of it, I started reading Holy Week last year! Susko...=)).

I skipped over to Starbucks and decided to forego my usual coffee frap for a chai tea latte. It seemed to be the healthier choice. As I settled into one of the comfy couches--cup of latte on one hand, book in the other--I couldn't help but smile.

I haven't done this in quite a while; it was something that I used to do quite often during The Wander Years.

Back then, Saturdays would find me driving to ATC (Alabang Town Center) where I would go to Powerbooks to pick my book of the week. From there, I would go to Cibo where I would eat my Spinach Dip with Crostini and Il Classico Pasta at a leisurely pace as I pored over several chapters of my newly bought paperback. I would stay until I realize that Cibo actually needs my table already to serve other customers, after which I would ask for the check, pay the bill, and scoot over to Cafe Breton next door for coffee and dessert. There, I would eat my crepe and drink my coffee at a leisurely pace as I pored over a few more chapters. Saturday was my de-stress time. Never mind that I seemed like a loon eating alone in restaurants. While I absolutely love being with family and friends, sometimes, a really good book is all the company that I need.

Judith arrived soon enough. Teenage angst between vampires and werewolves would have to wait. It was time to go.

We roared down the remaining kilometers along the NLEX to Fontana and got there with time to spare. Had lunch with the Marketing folks. Attended the inspiring salescon opening and kick-off. Had a quick chat with everyone else after the sessions. Congratulated everyone who deserved to be congratulated quite enthusiastically. Said goodbye.

Soon, I was back on the road. It was just a little after 5:00 p.m. "Perfect!" I thought. In the middle of summer, it just means that I will get back to Manila (and more familiar territory) before it gets dark. Hubby Sweet would be surprised. Earlier that day, I told him that if the business sessions end too late, I would stay overnight in Fontana and just drive back early the following day. He agreed that it was the most prudent thing to do, and quite honestly, probably expected that I will be staying over.

As I drove down the entire stretch of the NLEX, traffic whizzed past me. Once again, I was alone in my car with nothing but music to keep me company. I turned the music up once more and sung to...errr....Michael Buble at the top of my lungs. Strangely, however, this time, there was no hankering for the Indepent Women anthem of my Wander years.

Earlier that day, the song blaring out the speakers seemed highly inappropriate. It now seemed particularly apt.

Let me go home,
I’ve had my run
Baby, I’m done
I gotta go home

Let me go home
It’ll all be all right
I’ll be home tonight
I’m coming back home........

I hit the repeat button and sang all the way back.

No comments: