Saturday, January 30, 2010

A LOW-KEY CELEBRATION / JANUARY 6,2010 =D

I usually celebrate my birthday (every year without fail) with either a lunch or dinner with the family. This year, it was not possible. Mother and Father usually don't like going out at night anymore. They've settled into their routine. They have their own agenda, aside from the telenovelas that they religously follow every night. Lunch, however, was not possible because I was scheduled to fly out to CDO on the 6:45am flight to make it in time for the 9:00 a.m. Plantation Review in Bukidnon. I can only fly back on the second to the last flight back to Manila to at least make it in time for dinner.

That said, my 39th year celebration was pretty much just Hubby Sweet and me. I had barely slept the night before, finalizing back-up data for the Plantation Review. Working in a dimly lit room, I tried my best to be quiet enough so as not to disturb the sleeping Hubby. Around 2:00 a.m., he weirdly woke-up and asked, "Tweet, don't you have to go to the restroom?" "Uh, no" I replied, slightly distracted as I was working with rows and rows of data. He stood up and walked to the bathroom, and I actually thought he may have been sleepwalking.

"Happy Birthday, Tweety" he shouted as he entered the room with a big bunch of roses in tow. He had apparently left them in the bathroom as a surprise, knowing I was going to pull an all-nighter.


He kissed me, gave me a five-second hug, sleepily ambled back to bed and started snoozing in no time at all. Haha! =D


Soon enough, Hubby Sweet was up and about, getting ready to take me to the airport. He was going to take me there, do what he had to do for the day while I did what I had to do for the day, pick me up again late afternoon so we can do whatever for my birthday celebration. That's the plan. Not exactly a plan, but what the heck. Haha!

The plantation folks were a sweet bunch who had a super moist, super yummy homebaked chocolate cake waiting for me prior to the review. Yey! (Wish I had taken a pic!) Soon after lunch, however, I was on the van that would take me from the mountains of Bukidnon back to the CDO airport for my trip back to Manila. Ano ba! Jetsetter ako. Haha! =D

By the time Hubby Sweet picked me up, my lack of sleep was beginning to take its toll--a not-so-gentle reminder that I am, after all, no longer a spring chicken. Haha. I had originally wanted to go see Avatar and do dinner, but I opted for something quieter, more relaxing.

"Sweet," I voiced out as soon as I jumped into the car, "You want to just go to Tonton and have dinner at this hole-in-the-wall Chinese restaurant that Tatung, Kris, Marc, Apes and I used to eat in but could never find now? I'll call Tatong and ask him where it is. I know it's near Shell on Shaw but I can't seem to find it these days."

Tonton's Thai Massage used to be our weekly ritual. We'd go home to House Better over weekends and pass by Tonton (conveniently a corner away) before going home to House Pioneer. Having Buster J, Barrioca and Banzo changed all that. There's no point in getting a massage if both of us will spend the time worrying about the house being turned inside out by the time we got back. Haha. We haven't been to Tonton in a while, but since we recently got Fe-licious, someone can at least watch over the pups while we go on what would have been our first decent date in ages. A good Thai massage seemed to be in order. Now, Hubby Sweet usually goes for the body massage, but I'm not really fond of Thai body massages because I always think the masseuse will end up breaking my bones with all the pulling and twisting and pushing. The Thai FOOT Massage, however, is another matter entirely. One and a half hours of quiet, relaxing bliss. As the masseuse submerged my feet in warm-almost-hot water, I started to relax and withdraw from the world. Soon after she laid the calming, heated beanbag on my neck (a whiff of what seemed like rice bran gently wafting from inside), I felt the knots in the muscles on my neck ease a bit, and soon, I was off to snoozeland.


On the way to Tonton, I had managed to get in touch with Tatong for directions to the hole-in-the-wall Chinese restaurant that we used to eat in. Apparently, I was right. I was supposed to turn right at Shell and that would've been the street where the restaurant stood, but I was also super wrong, because I turned at the wrong Shell station. Haha.

"Turn right at the Shell Station after Puregold, Bata. Not on the Shell Station before Honda Shaw!" he advised laughing. We invited him to join us (since he lived nearby), but he was tied up a work. Oh, well. Next time. =D

We finished at Tonton's a little before seven. Perfect, I thought.

We followed Tatong's directions. Truth be told, I've always been excited about getting Hubby Sweet to try this restaurant. It has always been one of the office gang's favorite and was unlike any of the other Chinese restaurants I've eaten in in the metro. I actually thought it had already closed down; good to know that I can't find it only because I keep making the wrong turn.

A quick turn at the Shell Station after Puregold, and there it was on the left side of the street--almost so obscure, we would have missed it if I didn't know it was supposed to be there. Su Zhou. Finally! =D


We got there early enough to find the place empty. "Good!" I thought, actually relieved because parking usually becomes a problem once the place fills up. We ordered what Tatong had recommended. Now, here's the thing about Su Zhou. In all the times I've been there, each bite is usually met with an almost instinctive closing of the eyes and a long "hmmmmmmmnnnnnn". The only other reaction I have seen, truth be told, is an almost instant widening of both eyes, followed by a definitive, "Wow!" Haha! Yup, the food is deceptively simple, but it IS DECISIVELY GOOD (with all exponentials applied). The artwork on the wall seemed particularly apt for the kind of reaction the place elicits from its diners. Happiness! =D


We started dinner with Xia Long Pao. Not your ordinary dumpling. I will not spoil the surprise for those who have not tried it, but may I suggest that if you do decide to go, make sure that you eat it NOT just with your chopsticks, but also with your soup spoon. Just trust. Oh, and be careful in case it is hot. =D


I initially just ordered one serving, remembering inaccurately that there would be more than four pieces per serving. Big mistake! One bite was all it took for the Hubby to ask for an additional order. Haha! (And yes, he did leave one Xiao Long Pao for me from the first serve. Haha...hay...=D)

Next on the list of Must-Orders: Steamed Beef with Garlic! My pic hardly gives justice to the gustatory delight that one gets from this dish. It's simple and complicated at the same time, if that is at all possible. The steamed beef is lightly seasoned, almost bland, really. But when you take it with the mix of garlic, chili and what-have-you spices that it is topped with, well....I will just let Hubby Sweet's spontaneous comment say it for me, "Diyuskupo!" Haha. =D Not that it would be necessary to say it, but it is really best for you to finish off the steamed beef right there while it is hot. I took the leftover home for baon the following day, and it wasn't as good after being zapped in the microwave.


To complete the experience, one must eat the Steamed Beef with Veggie Rice. Forget Yang Chow when you go to Su Zhou. You can eat that in any other Chinese Restaturant. Veggie Rice, on the other hand, is something I only found there, and is something that I look forward to having every single time.



We also got the Mapo Tofu with Chicken (I forgot the real name) as a third dish, but it's really just OK. Good, but it pales in comparison to everything else that we ordered. We're going to skip ordering it on our next trip.


By the time we finished dinner, Hubby Sweet had a new hands-down favorite restaurant! Nanbantei has been dislodged! Haha. =D

As pasalubong for Fe-licious, we also ordered Su Zhou's version of siopao (I forgot what it's called, naku!). I only remember now that it is almost the size of a dessert plate. I suppose it had to be because it contains seven (yes, seven) ingredients! Chicken, mushroom, sausage, beef, etc., etc....di sila naka-decide kung ano ilalagay nila. Haha!

By 8:30 p.m., we were ready to go. Not bad. Early enough, I thought. Time enough to play with Buster J and Banzo before we finally call it a night.

As we drove home, the Hubby's music blared from the car speakers, but I was quiet inside. A surprise birthday bouquet. A surprise birthday cake. A soothing massage. A satisfying dinner. Not a bad way to spend one's 39th birthday. There was only one other thing left to do.

On the short drive home, I whispered a silent prayer of thanks for everything I have so far received, and a silent prayer of hope for everything else that is yet to be.

15 comments:

dada said...

Wow! inspite of tiring week, you still have time to document your birthday events...haha.. Thanks for sharing. Enjoyed reading it.

ester asuncion said...

Eileen, thanks for sharing your birthday celebration.....gosh what a nice food....dalhin nyo kami diyan pag uwi namin....

toyang&tweety said...

Haha! DADA, not so hectic for me. I was bed-ridden practically from Wednesday to Friday. Super sick! Naku...finally have enough strength to do something that entails brains. Prior to this, puro farmville lang ang nagagawa ko. Para mindless. Haha.

TITA ES! Of course, we will! Si Francis, nakakailang balik na--this time with his friends. Tara! Uwi na! =D

BTW, am not sure if you noticed, but this is actually a SUPER-DELAYED post. Nung January 6 pa ang birthday ko! Haha. ;p

toyang&tweety said...

At ngayon ko lang na-realize, na-time warp ang asawa ko. Di pa nakaka-adjust to 2010. Hehe. =D

dada said...

hahaha....napansin ko nga dami kong gifts from you on farmville. Thanks ha! Laki na rin yung farm mo....hehe!

bj said...

Belated HBD to you!!! and ate shawie

marts said...

Nice! Happy birthday, friend. :) Natakam ako! I want, I want. Will ask BJ to bring me there..

toyang&tweety said...

Thanks, BJ and Marts! =D Alam mo, naisip ko lang, yung bahay niyo, pwedeng i-turn into a "neighborhood cafe" of sorts. Parang Fat Michael's or Cafe Juanita. =D

ring testado said...

Happy Happy Birthday Ms. Eileen! i wish you all the bestest best GOD could offer you this year and am so glad that somehow in the midst of your busy-ness you still managed to drop a comment or two in my FB... you dont' know how much encouragement i felt everytime i saw your comment in FB... ingats always and happy birthday ulet!!!

rocky said...

the next time you're there, come by the house na. Zu Shou is just 2 corners away from my house!

rocky said...

Ooops! Wrong spelling pala. Just in case you're in the Ghills area, they have a small stall in the "fastfood area of Promenade also.

toyang&tweety said...

Thanks, Ring! =D

Rocky! Oo nga! I completely forgot you live nearby! Next time, tatawagan ka din namin. Reunion tayo nila Tatong! =D

rocky said...

That'll be cool Eileen!

achi said...

Miss Ei! Birthday mo pala! Super Belated Happy Birthday! Hope you enjoyed it!

toyang&tweety said...

Thanks, Achi! Yes, I did! =D