Friday, July 17, 2009

EATING OUR WAY THROUGH BORACAY: PART 1 =D

This trip was the Hubby's first trip to Boracay. Unbelievable, but true. =D I, on the other hand, have been to Bora several times before (though probably still not quite as often as everyone else these days).

In 1994, I went on a "healing trip" of sorts with the extended family after more than a month of going to the Manila Doctor's I.C.U. every single day to visit Lolo Danding (who suffered a stroke) before he finally decided he has had enough of every single son/daughter/grandchild going inside the ICU to sing "You Are My Sunshine" to him. Before then, it was his favorite song, but he probably thought, enough is enough! So he left us to join his Creator....now, before you think me politically incorrect and totally sacrilegious that I write about that experience this way, know that Lolo Danding is the most hilarious person I know (next only to my own Father) and if he were reading this blog, he would have guffawed himself silly (with his eyes reduced to no more than slits) as he reminisced about the ENDLESS stream of visitors who, one after the other, entered the I.CU. and used up their allotted minute by singing "You Are My Sunshine" for him. Over a period of one month. Hahaha. =)

I went back in 1998, this time with the first batch of Key Accounts sales folks to celebrate their first year anniversary at the Pineapple & Tomato company. To get the entire group to go all at the same time required an elaborate scheme that required each person to submit their VL forms at different times, so that by the time the Sales Director realized he had approved the simultaneous VL of more than half of his sales force, the tickets have been bought and the arrangements for accommodations have already been made. Wooohoooo!!! When he realized it, the only request he could say was, "Naisahan niyo ko dun ah. Pwede bang maghiwa-hiwalay na lang kayo ng eroplano in case may mangyari?" Hahaha. =D

Then I went back in 2001, this time with Father, Mother, Bro I-gue, the then-newly-married Sister Pusjing and G-Genius. Cousin Dooders (from my mom's side) had come home from LA for the wedding, and we were foolishly trying to match him up with Cousin Ate Babs (from my dad's side) who had also, back then, recently come home for good from Canada. HAHAHA!!! Wala namang kapag-a-pag-asa that they would get together, as they had spent a good part of their childhood knowing each other with absolutely no sparks flying, but we all thought, over time, malay mo. HAHAHA! =)

So I can define Boracay in different terms, having seen it in various stages. 1994. 1998. 2001.

In terms of accommodations: In 1994, all cottages made of kawayan, mostly found in Station 3. No airconditioning. No concrete structures on the beach. In 1998, most cottages were still mostly found in Station 3 with a smattering of "high-end" cottages on Station 1. Still no structures on the beach (oh, except for the Pearl of the Pacific resort, but it was very small so you kinda "forgive" that it is concrete). Luxury accomodations was defined by one thing: whether your room will be airconditioned or not. Haha. =D In 2000, well, by then Boracay Regency was being built, and that's when I thought (back then), this is the last time I'm going to Boracay. I would want to remember it as close as possible to how I first saw it.

In terms of tourist types: In 1994 and 1998, practically all foreigners with a smattering of locals. This was the age of Caucasian women walking along the Boracay shores topless (as the local men try to "discreetly" ogle them) and the age of Caucasian men walking casually in their skimpy trunks (as the local women shyly look away). They did not care. Boracay was almost deserted then. It was practically a world away. Not so anymore. Even back in 2001, with the availability of more airlines flying to the island, the descent of the local tourists had begun.

In terms of where you go: In 1994, you go to the beach from sunrise till sunset and while the night away in your huts playing cards. You practically bring everything--including the cans of Spam and Corned Beef that you give to the manangs of your resort so they can have it cooked for you. It's either that or you walk all the way to the nearby talipapa to buy fish that some of the stalls would be willing to grill for you. =) In 1998, there was Beachcomber and Cocomangas where you earn your stripes by downing 14 shooters in exchange for a shirt and your name on a wall. To get there, you'd have to walk all the way from the the cottages at Station 2 and 3 to get to the bars at Station 1. In between, there was nothing but the sea and the clear, starlit sky. In 2001, there were a few more restaurants, a few more choices.

But none prepared me for the Boracay that I visited last summer.

For one, the development of Boracay can be defined by how far Jonah's has gone. Haha. In 1994, they were nothing but a makeshift table. By the time we returned in 1998, they had progressed into a makeshift "sarisari store, then to a slightly bigger hut in 2001. Jonah's these days is now a full-fledged restaurant. So even thought breakfast was free where we stayed, I bugged the Hubby on Day 2 to eat breakfast @ Jonah's instead (yes, they now serve stuff other than all permutations of fruit shakes). I thought he must try Jonah's at least once as see why it has outlasted every other joint on the island.

So I decided to go for the Tocino breakfast; he decided to go for Huevo Ranchero because it's the closest thing he could get to a low-carb, high-protein breakfast. Both, not exactly earth-shaking good, but it'll do. I was in a forgiving mood. One, after all, does not go to Jonah's for a Tocino and Huevo Ranchero breakfast. =)



This is what we came for. I went for the cantaloupe / melon. Sweet, all natural. As I always do, I told them to leave out the milk. I was happy to note that my Jonah's shake now comes in a much bigger (but on the flip-side, also, a much more expensive) glass. I sipped too quickly and experienced the all too familiar brain freeze. Haha. =)

Hubby Sweet got his first crack at Jonah's with a huge glass of Watermelon Shake. I looked at him excitedly, eager to hear what he had to say. "Well....?" I asked. He shrugged and looked at me quizzically, and shrugged "Tweet....it's fruit shake." His face betrayed the single thought on his mind: what the heck is all the fuss about? Haha! And just like that, the emperor Jonah was stripped off all his clothes. =D


I had to laugh at the Hubby's honest reaction because, I suppose, it's the one thing I kinda knew as soon as I took the first sip of my 2009 melon shake--but something also that my Boracay nostalgia refused to let me accept. Jonah's may have been a special experience to everyone who lived in Manila before all the Big Chills and Fruitas and Fruit Ave, etc., etc. kiosks mushroomed all over the city. Back then, you want authentic fruit shake prepared with real fruits (as opposed to juice powder or concentrate), you fly to Bora and look for this obscure fruit shake stand at the end of Station 1. These days, you either go buy fruits and blend them yourself at home, or you skip over to the nearest mall. Hay....=)

When we got our bill, I also knew that while I am extremely happy over how far the family has gone from the single-table operation to this full-fledged restaurant, I also knew that I will forever miss the Jonah's of old. P15, P 20, P30 was all we had to pay for....back then.

Our breakfast bill in 2009? Almost P700. Ngyar. =(

Needless to say, the Hubby and I thought I have had my final Jonah's fix, and there was no way we were ever going back.

*A moment of silence please for the demise of my personal fruit-shake nostalgia ..... Sigh...=)*

2 comments:

rocky said...

I remember that trip in 1998 Eileen! Thanks for the memories!

Boracay Hotels said...

Wow Jonah's Fruitshake Restaurant. I'm just curious this restaurant. Is it same taste this fruitshake than the other brand?



Tanya Gemarin