Friday, January 9, 2009

GOLDEN =D

If you ever got one of these golden boxes, consider it your lucky, lucky day! =D I first came across them during one of the pre-production meetings we had for a new TVC and I swear, I was "hmmmm-ing" the entire time. Hahaha! 'D

Last Christmas, the Marketing Leadership Team (a.k.a. the "lesser gods"--bosses but not yet quite at the very top of the food chain, hahaha!) decided to have this as our group gift for the our Brand group. I was tasked with ordering, picking up, and actually hauling 200+ pieces back to the office! By the time I got out of the car, I smelled delicious (loose translation: amoy empanada na ako. Haha! =D)

San Lo's Famous Empanada. YUM! ^_^



It comes in five flavor variants: Pollo, Jamon y Queso, Carne Norte, Callos Madrillena and Atun. Naks, sosyal. =D At P65.00 per piece, it's not exactly the cheapest empanada around, but if you're out to impress, trust me, it's worth it. =) One can choose to buy it per piece or go for the 6-pc or 12-pc gift box.

We decided to go for the 6-pc (your choice of variants, but we decided to get one of each + the chicken bestseller as the additional piece).

You realize the difference as soon as you bite into one. The crust is unlike any of the usual empanadas. It's less "bread", more croissant. Flaky. Buttery. YUM! ^_^



On the Pollo - it's not your usual ground chicken with potatoes and raisins. It's more chicken ala king in an empanada. Surprising, utterly delicious twist. =D

On the Jamon y Queso - although the Pollo variant is supposedly the bestseller, a lot of the folks that we gave these too readily volunteer this as their hands-down favorite. Creamy cheese with generous bits of salty ham. I'm pretty sure they did not use Jamon Serrano, but the taste comes pretty close. =)

On the Callos Madrillena - this is my personal favorite, although I suppose it's really because I can't get this one anywhere else. Who would have thought callos would work inside empanada?! YUM! ^_^

On the Atun - some of the folks we gave these too liked the tuna best, but maybe I'm weird. I kept thinking, OK...it's good, but it's no different from a tuna sandwich. Hahaha! =p All told, I'll probably keep this off the box the next time I buy.

On the Carne Norte - SKIP THIS ONE. Yes, in big, bold letters. This was actually the lone disappointment for me. I had actually looked forward to this the most, but after taking a bite, Hubby Sweet's words said exactly what I was thinking, "Tweet, ba't lasang Argentina yung corned beef nila?" HAHA...hay...=(

***************************************

San Lo's Famous Empanada is on the Petron Gas Station right outside the Dasmarinas Village gate along Pasay Road. (Augustinians, you would know where this is! =D) Sadly, it is not open on Sundays so I'm still trying to figure out how I can bring this to future family get-togethers (which is always on a Sunday. =))

While several pieces are almost always available for single purchases, it would be good to order in advance if you plan to buy in bulk. Call 8442853 for details.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Nice Blog you got here! I was just searching the net bout wakeboarding ended up in your blog "Camsur". Surprisingly, I know the guy posted in you page. Si Kiko yun ah! Then I learned out na sya nga talaga. Nakita na rin kita before sa Lago, not sure if there was a competition or just a regular weekend ride. Anyways, Nice Blog! Regards to Kiks!

TOYANG & TWEETY said...

Hey, Alden! I'll be sure to say hi. =D

Thanks for visiting the blog! Hope to meet you when I go to Lago next (I don't know when though--di tulad ng asawa kong nandun linggo-linggo =D).