Thursday, October 16, 2008

STREET FOOD: PART 3! =D

Fans of Som's who live in Mandaluyong, rejoice! =)

The much raved-over streetside Thai...uh...eatery, originally located in Rockwell Gilidge (haha) has opened a new branch along the Mandaluyong Rotunda, right in front of the munisipyo.

Just the other night, while driving on my way home after another (!) late night at work, I called up Hubby Sweet and asked if he has had dinner already. "Yup. Corned beef."

I wanted something to help me de-stress, and corned beef just was not it.

"Uh...you want to go to Som's?"

In a heartbeat. Haha! 'D

I was just looking for a tummy filler so I just ordered the standard Chicken Pandan and Bagoong Rice. I had really wanted to order the Green Chicken Curry and fried fish (I forget now what it's called) with steamed rice, but the Hubby had already eaten, so Chicken Pandan and Bagoong Rice it is! I figured, even if I don't finish it, I can just make it baon the following day. (For the record, I loved their Chicken Pandan, but I found their Bagoong Rice too rich. Good, but too rich for my taste.)





































Hubby Sweet took his turn ordering after me. He-Who-Claimed-to-Have-Had-Dinner-And-Would-Therefore-Only-Order-Pica-Pica went crazy!

Spring Rolls. OK....this one I ended up eating with him while waiting for my orders to come out. It was already past 9:00 p.m. and duling na ako sa gutom. Yum! ^_^ I especially loved the sweet chili sauce which suspiciously looked like it could set my tongue on fire, but it was surprisingly wonderfully sweet-sour-spicy. It seemed like it was made from scratch with fresh ingredients (then again, I could be wrong =)). In any case, it sooooo beats all the starchy commercially-produced local chili sauces they pass off at the supermarket shelves these days.



Next, Siomai. Siomai?! In a Thai restaurant?!

"No shrimps, Tweet. You can try them," the Hubby countered. I did not get too, but he seems to swear by it. Oh, well. Maybe next time. =)



I thought he was done. Surveying the laminated menu, he nodded and went, "Tweet, I think I also want to try the mixed noodles." NGYAH! This one I did try. (It looked too good for me not to try it. =)) It reminded me a lot about Pho Bac, except that it had peanuts. I think, this one, Father would love. =)

Unlike in the Rockwell branch, we did not have to wait in line for a table. It may have been the late hour, or it could be that not too many people know about Som's in Mandaluyong yet. Still, the Mandaluyong branch is much, MUCH (!) bigger than the one in Makati so that's a plus. The other great thing about all these is that we only paid P530 for everything we ordered. And since we ordered enough for 3-4 people, there was enough leftover for lunch, merienda AND dinner the following day! Hahaha! 'D

All in all, that's not a bad deal. =)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sana mag-open sila ng branch sa south area. Sawang-sawa na ako sa north park. Sarap ng green chicken curry nila, hinihigop ko actually ang sabaw. Hahaha! Btw, Sango opened a branch in South Supermarket Alabang. :-)

TOYANG & TWEETY said...

Haha! Oo nga. Ako, sobrang na-excite when I found out from a friend that there's already Som's at the Rotonda. 10 minutes and a tunnel away! Yey! =D