Wednesday, October 10, 2007

IT WON'T ALWAYS BE LIKE THIS / OCTOBER 10,2007

Bonifacio Global City, June 2007. Brand new management. Brand new office. Fresh start.


What I love about our new place:


1. The fact that we still have wide-open spaces, and the fact that in the middle of Metro Manila, I can at least pretend that I am breathing fresh air. Haha! =)



2. The fact that I can go to Starbucks and find myself a seat anytime of the day! Every. Single. Day. =)




3. The fact that I have a park just one floor down where I can walk around if I need to clear my head. The fact that in the same park:


- sports enthusiasts of all ages can mill around while waiting for the arrival of some super-gigantic NBA star named after Japanese beef,

- surfer dudes can have an insane weekend of artificial wakeboarding in front of a newly-opened surf shop,

- both lovers and friends can get an occasional free concert--be it from a local upstart or a major international star (Major downside: soundchecks @ 2:30 p.m. can be very distracting, especially when you're having a meeting in the boardroom! Haha! Uh....let's resched. =))

- one can watch a mid-day bartending competition or ogle a few "stars" as they celebrate their kid's birthday party in the restaurant/bar named after the last day of the work week. =)

- kiddies can run around freely, playing with their pups (or run around crazily while chasing after someone else's pups! Haha. =)).

- Etc., etc.!

Oh, yes. The fact that I can just walk across the park to the neighborhood doughnut shop or cross the street to get a cold-rock ice cream fix everytime I need an extra comfort-food boost. =)

4. The fact that there are actually five (yes, five!) coffee shops within walking distance if ever I needed a mid-afternoon caffein shot or an afternoon breather to take a late lunch--which, BTW, seems par for the course these days. I just need to make sure I don't choose the coffee shop that's right outside our boss's window, haha! =)




I've also been told--although I haven't actually tried it--that we can actually bring our trusty laptops to any of these shops and work there the entire afternoon because the office wi-fi signal is strong enough. Imagine being "inside the office" without having to be physically there! Hmmmmnnn.....=)


5. Most of all, I love the fact that within a 1-km radius, there is a gas station, a home depot, a sports camp, a McDo drive-through, a Jollibee drive-through, two supermarkets, several banks, a mega-bookshop, a gazillion new restaurants, and two malls with a gazillion stores. I especially love the fact that I can get to any of these from the office in 10 minutes tops!




A few days ago, I actually drove through McDo for a nuggets meal lunch, drove to the bank to pay off some bills and drove to the neighborhood mega-homecenter to buy halogen bulbs to replace the busted ones at home--and managed to get back to the office by 12:40 p.m. Yey!!! (I think, haha! =)) In any case, that sooooooooooo beats the lunch hour rush/traffic within Makati. =)

Oh, and yes, except for Friday evenings, parking is not yet a problem. 'D


Which leads me to my next point. The fact that finding a parking space Friday evenings is now a problem is a sure sign of things to come. The rest of Metro Manila is beginning to discover our hideaway. What used to be a practical ghost town is now packed with bumper-to-bumper cars waiting for a parking slot during "gimmick days/nights"! Waaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!



I know the Bonifacio Global City won't always be as I know it now, and heck, for all intents and purposes, it will probably end up being worse than Makati in the next five years--especially once all the "free spaces" (see #1) are filled! Double-waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

For now, however, I will enjoy it to the hilt! =)

No comments: